We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

soooo, supposedly, my drawing at a recent convention won a disney prize pack. I do not have the full details because my husband was not home and she is calling back tomorrow to give us the run down but she mentioned a 7 day disney cruise and something about daytona beach. Then comes the bait and switch. Trust me, I am already rolling eyes at myself for being mildly curious. But taking the kids on a disney cruise was up there on my list.

So she says that when they give out a free vacation, its not really free because you have to pay taxes on it. so their way of getting around that is to offer us a promotional offer that is way better and not something we have to pay taxes for. A registration fee of $500 plus 90 minute timeshare BS seems to be the catch. But she swears that's all we have to pony up in order to have these 2 vacation experiences. And shes going to call back tomorrow to give us the spiel.

I know these timeshare things can sometimes work out and be a killer deal...other times they are a set up and run longer than promised or are filled with aggressive sales pitching and coercing to try to get us to buy something there is no way we can afford or even want. So level with me here...is this worth finding out more on? am I getting suckered into the cliched bait and switch that I will be sorry for? Or is there a genuine chance that the $500 and 90 minute timeshare thing will be worth a free family cruise?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

My wife and I checked into our Orlando resort this week, and they are part of the Diamond Resort company. They 'invited' us to a 90-minute presentation and said they'd pay us $150 for it. We had a spare morning so we went for it.

Needless to say it didn't take 90 minutes, even though I made clear at the start we were only attending to get the money and also later when I told the manager I'm going to get up in 5 minutes and walk out. I didn't mind so much because I've always been curious about time share deals and wanted to have a good grasp of the numbers, my wife was bored out of her mind and kept telling me to stop asking questions,

They will lie through their teeth to get you to believe what they are saying, they told me that the inflation rate in Florida last year was 9% and in Hawaii it was 12%! Nationally I know it's only been around the 1% mark so I had to pick them up on it.

They also told us that Dianey make no profits from the theme parks which we found hard to believe at the time....because it's not true, they actually make $2.2 billion from just the theme parks (I had to check as soon as I got home).

Also we've been very lucky as we've been on holiday in lots of nice places and stayed in lots of nice hotels and so we weren't 'wowed' by their resort, however I can easily see myself having been impressed if I'd visited a few years ago.

Also I've done lots of reading on sales techniques and how to persuade people and they used almost every trick in the book (make you think about a positive experience, build rapport, give you some freebies so you feel you owe them something, touch your arm when they want you to agree to something, make you affirm something out loud so that it affects the psyche...I could go on and on - if nothing else read 'The Science of Persuasion' by Robert Caldini before you go).

We had 3 people in total talk to us, first the 'vacation counsellor', then the manager who pushes you really hard to sign and then when you've turned down the offer they have someone else come over to do a 'checklist' which is really another chance for them to try and sell you a 'sampler'.

Anyway my point is that they'll probably lie to you (I left thinking if they could lie about the 'small' stuff, what else were they lying about??) and push you hard to buy. I can be really firm when I want to be and my wife and I were definite we weren't going to buy before we went and yet they still put on the hard sell. And we hadn't even paid them a penny...I'd hate to think what the situation would be like if we had already paid them $500.

Also as another aside I got talking to someone at one of these shopping malls who had a stand for Carnival cruises and timeshares and the deal that they had on. Essentially you could get a cruise for $200 + taxes, but he couldn't say how much the taxes were going to be (if cruises are anything like flights they often make up the majority of the cost). Also it only entitled you to an interior room and a 4-night cruise. You could opt to upgrade for a better room and a longer cruise...again though couldn't tell me how much extra this would cost.

We've just been on a 7-night carnival cruise last month so I have a very good idea of current costs and promotions and this wasn't that great an offer, and lots of uncertainty and potential for rising costs attached.

My personal advice would be to give it a miss. I've heard and read lots of stories about people getting caught up in these scams/offers and then throwing good money after bad in order to try and salvage the situation. The better option is to shop for a deal direct with Disney, know what you're willing to pay and if you find it then go for it!

Remember 'if something looks too good to be true...it usually is'!

(By the way if you end up totally ignoring my advice then please come back and tell us what happened next!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

First question, did you actually enter a prize draw?

Did you ask them to call back or did they say your husband had to be on the end of the phone with you? Often time share sellers insist on that.

Get them to send you in writing details of all the t and c and say you won't discuss further until you've read them.

Edited: 15 September 2016, 15:39
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

I'd say Don't Do it. Even if you did somehow manage to get the cruise, the price will go up with things like taxes, port charge and who knows what other fees.

I have never heard of a timeshare presentation that went well, and I would be completely amazed if any timeshare company stuck with the agreed on presentation time. My sense has always been that they try hammer you with the hard sell until you walk out without whatever prize they promised.

I do have relatives that used go to presentations just for the entertainment value because they love tweaking the different sales folks. If you love being obnoxious those guys just ask for it. But, they also frequently didn't get the agreed on prizes, and some of the stuff they did get (like a BBQ Grill) was total junk.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

I did enter to win a prize so that part was legit but it was not disney who called me it was a third party travel agency so its not like I entered an official disney drawing that I know of. and yes she insisted my husband was home to give us both all the details. I kinda figured it was too good to be true and one email to my TA and she told me its a scam and the cruise is not an actual cruise but a ferry boat or something like that.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

Im a timeshare owner in Daytona Beach - I own a Wyndham timeshare.

Timeshares are great if you plan WAY in advance and work the RCI system...

I actually rent timeshares at Wyndhams Ocean Walk Resort - I get ALOT of people calling me to sell me their timeshare... I recommend that everybody check out timeshare prices on Ebay before purchasing from a developer..

Renata

No Longer a Daytona Beach Destination Expert -

6. Re: Disney Prize package/timeshare bait and switch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach