We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

Hi everyone,

Planning our annual trip to Destin for our little family of 4 in September. Decided we would try The Inn at Crystal Beach this year (we did Holiday Inn at Ft Walton for 2 years, Destin Seafarer last year). After looking at the Dale Peterson (?) website, seems to be a lot of units, a lot of choices!!!

For the people that have stayed there, any favorite units to rent out? Any to avoid?

Thanks for any input.

17 replies to this topic
Destin
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

The most desirable units at The Inn at Crystal Beach are those that jut out further south and closer to the gulf because they have the best (panoramic) views and are larger units - they end 05 (face east), 06, (face south), and 07 (face west). Those ending in 05 and 07 are the best units IMHO and are the larger 3 bedroom units (most are 3 bdrm units with dens that are like a small 4th bedroom, but a couple of them are 5 bdrm lockout units with 3 bedrooms on one side and 2 bedrooms on the other side), and those ending in 05 and 07 have the larger balconies that are L shaped.

Those that end in 06 are usually larger 3 bdrm units but the balconies are not as large or L shaped- the indoor space is a little larger, which although it’s nice to have the extra indoor space, the smaller balconies make them not quite as desirable as the 05 and 07 units.

Those units that end in 01 and 11 are usually 4 bdrm large units and they have large L shaped balconies too, but they are situated further north such that the views are somewhat compromised by Villa Coyaba to the east and a big house to the west (which are very nice but not as good a view as the gulf, IMO). If you are not as interested in the view as much, but would like a lot of space, these are good. There is a good view of the gulf straight ahead but it’s not a panoramic one.

Those ending in 02-04 and 08-10 are 2 bdrm units and smaller 3 bedroom units and some are lockout units.

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

WOW thank you so much for the helpful guide above!!!!

Destin
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

No problem! Dale E Peterson was sold to Salt Water Vacations at the end of last year, but most of the people are the same, and the website redirects you to Salt Water Vacations if you search for Dale E Peterson Vacations. They also list a lot of their units on VRBO as well, and there are some owners who manage their units themselves who list on VRBO and other websites like Homeaway. You may want to check out both websites to find the condo that works best for you.

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
307 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

We rented a couple of rooms for a wedding here 3 years ago, and I don't remember specific room numbers, but they were both well appointed. You will love Crystal Beach! We have a house down the street from the Inn, and feel it is the most beautiful section of beach in Destin-not that any are bad. The restaurant at the Inn, "790" has some really good food, and Camille's is just down the street and is usually outstanding. You are very close to Destin Commons as well.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 08:31
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

I would stay away from first floor units that open onto the patio where people from the restaurant are eating outside.

We looked at pictures of different units and picked one that appealed to us.

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

Thank u for everyone’s input! Keep them coming!

We have been meaning to check out Camille’s but somehow keep missing it on each trip!

Also, thanks for the note on the 1st floor units!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

Last couple times we have gone to 790 at the Inn we have been very disappointed. Slllloooowwww service. Food was just adequate. but certainly is tough to beat the view.

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

I just like to have the option this time around of a food source close to the beach without me having to cook it! Heheh. We will most likely still go out for most meals, but having the resto there for the drinks and snacks will be a bonus!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

Hate to hear that about 790. Hope they make improvements.

Destin
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach

790 on the Gulf has awesome views (some of the best in Destin), for sure, but they do have a lack of consistency problem with regard to service and food. Overall I’ve had mostly very positive experiences there, but I’ve had a couple of disappointing experiences as well. One of the best fish sandwiches I’ve ever had was there, but I have also had one of the worst ones there too!

Overall, though, I would consider it a positive for The Inn, and it’s definitely a plus for anyone staying there. Their bar is pretty good with one of the best Happy Hours in town, and I think during lunch the servers wait on the beach goers at The Inn. There may be other condos that provide that kind of service, but I’m not aware of which ones (if any others) do.

Reply to: Unit Question - The Inn at Crystal Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Destin