We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it usually storm in the morning?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Does it usually storm in the morning?

This is our second year visiting, and once again, we are sitting here in swim suits watching the radar as scattered storms blow through and dark clouds keep popping up. We have young children, so the morning hours are prime time at the beach and pool. Is this typical for Destin, or just our bad luck? I expect scattered storms at the beach, but usually in the afternoon. Trying to manage our expectations/plans for the rest of the trip. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
6 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,913 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

Summer storms normally come in the afternoon, but it's common for the weather patterns to invert for a few days, bringing morning showers instead.

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

We just got back from Destin. We were there all of last week. It rained once, but it was short and early morning. The rest of the days were completely sunny.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

Sorry but it’s been rainy this year- it’s disappointing but it never lasts for more than a couple of hours. Morning showers are not typical but it’s starting off to be a wet season.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

Lots of times the storms will roll along the coast in the morning, sometimes not ever coming ashore, and ususally after lunch or so, they begin to fire up north of the bay (they call them sea breeze front showers/storms)...

These would be average patterns, but how often do you see average patterns where you live?!? Keep your head up and enjoy the area! It won't be a rainout every morning while you are here!

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
266 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

I'll add to what "drink" said. A lot of times the famous afternoon Florida storms form a bit inland and never touch the beach. I don't know how many times I've kept my boat out on a barrier island for an extra hour because it was sunny there and all heck was breaking loose over the boat ramp. Of course, that strategy doesn't always work, but it's a solid plan based on experience.

It often seems to be the opposite in the morning. The storms seem to form over the Gulf, and might sometimes make it to the beach. Happened to me near Destin yesterday.

I check the weather as close to launching my boat as I can, for safety reasons if nothing else. Sometimes the weather burns me anyway. I know it's no fun, but you're just getting burned. Weather does that. :(

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does it usually storm in the morning?

The summer months are the rainiest. Daily, in general, mornings are clear, and clouds build as the day goes, with frequent afternoon thunderstorms and rain. That's Florida...

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Reply to: Does it usually storm in the morning?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted