We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help from the locals

illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Help from the locals

We will be Flying into Destin in mid August. Would like suggestions as to good areas to stay and also restaurant suggestions. We love to sit on the balcony and enjoy the water and also eat eat eat.

Any reasonable priced restaurants with cool atmosphere?

Thanks

30 replies to this topic
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Help from the locals

not a local … but I like the back porch restaurant . what is your definition of reasonable priced ? that can mean something vastly different to me than to you

Edited: 11 June 2018, 04:49
illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Help from the locals

$100 or less for a group of 4

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Help from the locals

It’s in Fort Walton, but we love Stewbys. Def not fancy, but it’s great fried seafood.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Help from the locals

I'm not a local either, but have been vacationing in Destin for the past 12 years, so I'm familiar with the restaurants. Dewey Destin Bayside is a "must"....dive, on the water....great affordable seafood; we like Surf Hut too; beachfront, good food...a lot of people like Pompano Joe's; you cannot beat the view and atmosphere; so cool to get a drink and walk along that wonderful stretch of beach until your table is ready; IMHO, food there is mediocre and overpriced; a lot of people like McGuire's but it's not beachfront. There are many recommendations on this forum; check out the commonly asked questions in the upper right hand corner.

United States
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Help from the locals

Sitting at a table overlooking the gulf is my idea of great atmosphere. Most food in Destin is overpriced, but it's what the market will bear, and I guess we are all willing to pay.

Gulf favorites: Surf Hut, Whales Tail, Capt Dave's, Crab Trap; all along Scenic 98.

Harbor view favorites: Harbor Docks, Boshamps, Brotulas, A.J's, Harry T's

Bayside: Dewey Destin (bayside only), LuLu's

People have different and personal ideas about what areas they like. We like Miramar Beach, but Crystal Beach is nice too.

illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Help from the locals

We have the flights booked now we need to decide on a condo and where.

Any thoughts on Mirimar Beach? Anyone have any experience with Bob and Mary's Beach retreat located in the Majestic Sun Properties?

I really appreciate all of the help. I am trying to plan an awesome family vacation and the possibilities are endless.

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
363 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Help from the locals

I'd second McGuire's. It's not beachfront, but they did their best to duplicate the original McGuire's from Pensacola and pulled it off. It's a touristy place that thrives on its atmosphere/gimmicks, but their food and drinks are solid, and they won't rip you off too bad. You can have a fun time there.

Helen Back on Okaloosa Island fronts a harbor, and has pretty good pizza.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Help from the locals

Unless they have opened back up, I think Helen Back is closed.... (all locations including Duck Duck on the Harbor)

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Help from the locals

Helen Back on Okaloosa Island reopened back in April-May with new owners. I have not been there. The other Helen Backs are closed (Crestview - Niceville - Navarre) The Niceville Helen back location is soon (or already happened) another location for Props Brewery.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Help from the locals

If you give us an idea of what sort of accommodations you would like it would be easier for others to give suggestions - beachfront or walk to beach - number of bedrooms - budget etc.

Reply to: Help from the locals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted