We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

Scottsburg, IN
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

My family (my husband, my 9 year old, 6 year old and myself) recently vacationed in the Englewood, Venice Beach and Siesta Key area. During our stay in Englewood, we visited this restaurant after seeing above average reviews online. Our experience with this restaurant was terrible. I have worked in restaurants for 10+ years and honestly felt as though this was one of the worst experiences ever. The owner would not talk to us even upon request, and the poor manager I did manage to speak to had no idea what was going on and ended up getting rather rude. I understand the in and outs of restaurants and when I received my order, I could not eat the entree. I was in no way trying to get "a free meal" I just literally COULD NOT eat the food in front of me. It was disgusting. I tried ordering another entree at the same price instead and was told I would be required to pay for two meals if I received anything else. My family and I were excited to eat at this restaurant as we chose to visit on the first night of our vacation. Overall, ALL of the food was bland with the exception of my caesar salad. I would have loved to have had a great dining experience so we would have had a great restaurant to visit each time we visit. Unfortunately, no one in the restaurant was interested in making our dining experience anything worth returning to. Our bill was almost $100 for our family of four and all I was able to eat was a baked potato and my side salad. I paid $20 for two sides. As a server myself, I want my customers to leave happy and with a desire to return. That is MY job as as server. The owner of EVERY restaurant I have ever worked has always made sure that if a customer doesn't like or cannot eat what they've ordered, they make it right. I was sick the rest of that night, ruining the first night of our vacation in Englewood. I am simply appalled at the service the owner of this restaurant gave my family. It was very overpriced and the food was in no way worth the experience. We will never return. The staff in this restaurant cares in no way about giving good customer service, especially the owner.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
747 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

Shelly

Read my review on the trip forum on this restaurant - I vowed I would never go back ...... and I WON'T!! The service was poor, customer service was non-existent and the food bland and very overpriced for what you got.

There are so many better places in Englewood, and hopefully your bad experience at Lock and Key will not put you off coming back to this great area!

Rosiebabe

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

It is such a shame about the Lock and Key because when we first visited in 2003 the food was lovely, the service excellent, you wasn't rushed and it had a friendly feel.

We have been back a couple of times since and each time we felt it has gone down a lot and on the last occasion the service was dreadful and the Manager was shouting at a waiter in front of the customers. We have not been back since, but it did used to be very nice and have a good reputation.

I hope the owner reads this forum, which I doubt, because things need to change if they are going to keep customers coming back.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,849 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

On recommendations here I too visited last year.

I have didn't eat a full meal at Lock and Key. I did last year stop at sunset to have a drink and an appetiser to share. Wasn't very good, but as I said only tried the one thing. The waitress wasn't very good either, but we had that problem next door at Gulf View as well with service.

I too didn't go back to L and K in my next three trips after (ie October, April, and June). Just think, we are a family of five- how much business have they missed? I wonder, did they change hands a few years back? That would explain the drop in standards I guess.

Next time, try Stump Pass grill for cheap eats on the water. At the marina off placida. Or Farlow's.

4. Re: Do not eat at Lock and Key Restaurant in Englewood, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Englewood
Recent Conversations
More Englewood Topics