We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

My husband and I will be flying in and out of FLL April 13-18 to vacation in the Keys, and rental cars for that week are upwards of $70 A DAY even just for compact cars! Is there something going on that week to raise the prices so high?? The weeks before and after are way cheaper, closer to $10 a day. I'm thinking of renting off-site at Sunshine Rent A Car but it's still going to be at least $300 for the week. Any ideas why so much?!

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

There is a really famous music festival here April 12-13 , the Tortuga Music Festival on the beach. People are coming from all over the world to attend. demand for cars is likely sky high for those dates.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

www.tortugamusicfestival.com/…

Some major names will be performing. It is a ticketed event taking place on the south end of the beach not far from Sheraton Beach resort.

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

We've used Sunshine four times and never had a problem with them. We bring a SunPass mini for the cashless tolls on the turnpike to the Keys.

Orangeville, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

My husband and I recently booked a car Apr. 1-15. Not sure how you are looking. Checking with the large rental companies is always expensive to my experience. I just googled cheap car rentals. Expedia.ca for your dates $273 Economy Car Rental.com was$180. Also, check out Auto Slash, they look for the cheapest rental for free.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

Economy Car Rental gets lousy reviews locally

www.yelp.com/biz/economy-fort-lauderdale

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

Yes, too much small prints

C M
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
979 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

Clear out your 'cookies' and then try Costo if you have a membership. Sadly, we checked rates for EARLY Dec. 2014 in FLL and the rates via Costco for a Corolla were DOUBLE what they were to rent out of Orlando - so, we are flying into Orlando and driving from there. No biggee for us. We got a Corolla for 2 weeks with free 2nd driver out of Orlando for $400! It would have been over $700 from FLL. Go figure. :0( I haven't bought air yet so i will keep checking FLL car rates - but it's looking like an Orlando car rental for us :0)

C M
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
979 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

That is a total fo $422 for TWO weeks. We thought that was fair. It's with Alamo. We happen to like Alamo :0)

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

It's a shame that you can go offsite and get a car rental for $200 cheaper a week. we will be in FLL the end of July and I didn't want to catch a shuttle to car rental lot, BUT I can get it so much cheaper offsite. Dragging luggage and a 6 yr old to a shuttle will be fun. Then getting up sooo much sooner to be back to catch an early flight, you have to be at the rental agency almost 2 hrs before, then drive back. UGH. I dont understand why the rates at an airport is sooo much higher.

10. Re: Why are rental cars from FLL so expensive April 13??!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 12:16