We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airport?

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which Airport?

We will be flying from Pittsburgh to Florida in early October. Could the locals please tell me which airport is best for Jensen Beach? Not only concerned about distance, but also safety, ease of negotiating the airport, traffic, number of flights and prices. Thanks in advance for your help.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airport?

Best and closest option is West Palm Beach (PBI) about an hour south of Jensen Beach. Pretty light traffic once you are N of West Palm on I 95, Safety not really an issue unless arriving late at night and that airport usually doesn't have late arrivals. The other options: FLL Ft Lauderdale a good 2 hours south with heavier traffic or Sanford/Orlando 2.5 hours Northwest. Orlando with really heavy traffic also about 2.5 hours. To keep it simple PBI is the answer!

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airport?

Thanks so much! I was looking at Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale in terms of the number of flights in and out, but WPBeach sounds like the logical choice. Hoping the weather is great the second week of October. All I really want to do is be on the beach listening to the waves. We're staying at Vistana any suggestions for good seafood or southern cooking? We enjoy good local places..not chains or upscale. Thanks again.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airport?

October is usually a terrific time, always the possibility of course of a tropical storm but unlikely I think. A few places we like in the downtown area of Jensen Beach; Conchy Joe's a casual tiki bar type place overlooking the river, Crawdaddy's on the little main street serves good Cajun food. A couple of miles south on the river is the Dolphin Shrimp and raw bar. North on AIA is a great casual little place very popular with locals called Archie's. Great burgers, chili and seafood salads and sandwiches (it could be called a dive but we like it) A bit north in downtown Ft Pierce is Cobb's Landing restaurant with good seafood. We like to visit the Greenmarket craft show there on Saturdays and have lunch at Cobb's or Archies. For dinner a good seafood option is Chuck's there on the causeway but they don't open until after 4. That causeway is Seaway Dr and they also have Mangrove Mattie's overlooking the Ft Pierce inlet. We have had a good Sunday brunch there with a terrific view...

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airport?

You're just what we needed! All those places sound great. None of them require "dress up" clothes do they? Since we're flying we're keeping our luggage to the bare minimum. I like the idea of the craft show. Is it every Saturday? Any quilt shops nearby? Is it hard to navigate the area...traffic? Thanks again. Hope I'm not a bother, but planning is half the fun of traveling!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airport?

;.) no dress up required here. the greenmarket/craft fair is every Sat morning about 8 till noon. They usually stay till 1 or 2 though the write ups say they close at noon. It is in downtown Ft Pierce. You would go right up the beach rd till it dead ends at the inlet. Turn right, go over the bridge and left at first stoplight after the bridge. Pass a round about and the market is there on the intracoastal plaza. On Thursday evenings they have a little street fair in Jensen called Jammin in Jensen. Some music, craft booths etc which can be fun. Starts about 6 pm. Don't know what week you'll be there but Oct 10th has another event "Dancin in the Street" in nearby downtown Stuart. Lots of vendors, 3 stages of music and crafts etc. Don't know of any quilt shops.

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airport?

Lucky us...we'll be arriving October 9th! Looking forward to Dancin in the Streets. Local festivities and hand made gifts are always much nicer than imported "glitz" and souvenirs straight from Taiwan.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airport?

You said you would be at Vistana - a timeshare week? We've enjoyed trading in at a place next door, Turtle Reef Resort. We come from Arizona. Last year we came in mis-September and this year was mid- August. Weather the same both times. I grew up in So. Calif. and always thought beaches were crowded. Not so for these beaches. It's wonderful. You mentioned you wanted to sit and watch the surf......that you will be able to do here. It's wonderful. We fly into West Palm Beach. From Phoenix, AZ the fares are less than using Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and the drive is easy. On the island there are 2 easy to get to supermarkets to stock up on groceries - Publix. And just over one of the causeways, on Indian River Drive, you have to eat at a darling little place called Dena's Cafe. She only serves breakfast and lunch. She's a transplant from the Chicago area - and can she cook! The place is rather eclectic - but that is what makes it charming. We also ate at Crawdaddy's - not too expensive but good food. If you're in for a drive, can go north about 2hrs to Cape Canaveral for the day - Kennedy Space Center. Jupiter Lighthouse is just south about 30min. Enjoy!

8. Re: Which Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Jensen Beach