We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

Whitby
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

We are heading to the Keys early September and really want to swim with the Dolphins. There seem to be a few places....any suggestions or recommendations? It's expensive, want to make sure we choose the right place.

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
113 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
122 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
396 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

I am not sure that anybody in the Keys actually lets you SWIM with the dolphins.....it is more like an "interaction". My son did it at Hawk's Cay on Duck Key and he loved it! However, you are correct: It is expensive. Maybe someone else knows somewhere that they actually let you swim with them, but Hawk's Cay is the only place that I personally am aware of.

Mentioned in this post
Duck Key
Duck Key
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

All of the places are going to be fine and close to the same thing, experience and price.

Hawk's Cay , as mentioned.

Theater of the Sea - Sea Lions here too as well as Sea Ray's

Dolphin Research Center

And - Dolphins Plus in Key Largo.

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

I work with a wild dolphin tour company in Key West. Dolphin Research Center (way up the Keys) does a captive dolphin swim. But, they are high on profit, short on research. Captive dolphins in a pool have no choice than to swim with you. The following quote says it all...

David Wills, Vice President of investigations for The Humane Society of the United States, swam with dolphins in one of the captive swim with dolphins programs. He wrote:

"The swim was a highlight in my life; one that left me charmed, in love and paradoxically saddened. For the single inescapable fact of that wonderful time was that while I was free to swim with the dolphins, they were not free to swim with me...willing perhaps, but not free. And that is the moral issue that condemns all captive dolphin swim programs. No arguments can justify the forced confinement of these unique and complex individuals. Their lives without their freedom is a sad and prolonged slavery, no matter how velvet the chains nor how kind the jailer."

In Key West, boats go out to see Wild Dolphins in their natural habitat. It is fantastic to see them and their babies, wild and free. These dolphins live 24/7 off Key West. The wild dolphins off Key West can swim up to 30MPH, and because they're busy being WILD, they will not stop doing what they're doing to swim with you. They do sometimes love to socialize with the boat's hulls, but sometimes they just go about their daily dolphin business and ignore the boat, which is when we really get to see into their wild lives. A typical day for a Wild dolphin includes lots of hunting & feeding together as a team, playing and socializing together, jumping and competing with each other, mating right on the surface and also teaching their babies how to hunt for fish and just how to survive. If it happens in a Wild Dolphin's world, we eventually see it off Key West.

So please consider doing a WILD Dolphin Encounter (search things to do on TA) and I think you will see the light, especially if you also do the captive dolphin swim.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
United States
United States
North America
4. Re: best place to swim with dolphins in the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 14:20