We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed with car rental

Fremont, Michigan
10 posts
Save Topic
Help needed with car rental

Our family (5 adults and two children)is visiting Key West for the very first time Dec. 27th through Jan. 3rd. Our original flight with Midwest to FLL has been cancelled. We are now flying with American into MIA. I had to cancel our mini-van rental at FLL, and now I am having difficulty finding a reasonably-priced rental out of MIA. We are staying at Coral Hammock on Stock Island. Any suggestions?

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
137 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed with car rental

Try this site (click on Florida rentals):

http://www.rentalcarmomma.com/

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed with car rental

Unfortunately you are trying to rent a car at one of the year's busiest travel times, so good prices just might not be available then.

You might want to check out Fox Car Rental. I used them once and the cars were older but ok. I checked out the days you want to rent, and you can get a big car for about $500 your stay.

http://www.foxrentacar.com/

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed with car rental

Wow, those prices are upi there. $675 for a minivan, not exactly a deal.

sosci
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed with car rental

Have you tried carrentals.com or hotwire yet?

I found my rental through a vendor from carrentals.com during peak Spring Break 2008 w/o a problem (but then again I did not need a van). If you have never rented in MIA - be prepared the off-airport locations can be a bit tricky when returning the car - a GPS sytem comes in handy.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed with car rental

if you are just doing a one day rental the rate at carrentalmamma is $167-for a mini van. not great but considering the time of year.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed with car rental

nevermind, you are staying on stock island and will need wheels.

Fremont, Michigan
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed with car rental

Thanks for all the suggestions! My original rental out of FLL was through carrental.com-$500 wkly rental on a van. I am looking for something comparable, but am finding that everything out of MIA is running $800+ for the week! I have checked with Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, etc. (I get an error when I try to go to rentalcarmomma.com). Do you think prices will drop again, or should I reserve now?

I like the idea of a GPS! Any idea how much one of those will cost me for the week?

East Amherst, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed with car rental

I would book now through one of the car rental websites and keep an eye on the prices as they can fluctuate daily and it is very easy to cancel and re-book your reservation. As the date of your trip comes closer, try making a bid on priceline or going to hotwire. Often times the price drops when companies discover extra inventory at the last minute. Good luck.

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed with car rental

If worse comes to worse keep your rental at FLL and one person take a cab (without luggage) to pick up the van while everyone else waits on the luggage. It can't be more than $300 to take a cab twice.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed with car rental

OR - take the 'Keys Shuttle' to Marathon or Key West aiports and pick up a rental car there.

Although it would be nice to have a car on your ride down so that you could stop. Maybe take one you can find OW to KW and pick up a different one in KW that might be cheaper?

Marathon also has a few rental car places.

You could rent one now and just watch the prices.

Yup, busiest time of the year in the Keys.