We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

My wife and I were to fly to Miami Aug. 18, rent car to go to Key Largo for 2 days of diving, then 1 day at Key West, before going to Ft. Lauderdale for 2 days (then on Carnival, E Caribbean cruise).

Now there is mandatory evacuation for non-residents in the Keys due to tropical storm Fay. Air Canada is still saying they'll fly tomorrow morning (I'll be finding somewhere to stay, instead of Key Largo).

Would the waters be murky for diving/snorkeling around the Keys and Miami/Ft Lauderdale area for the few days after Fay passes by? I got a priceline hotel for Wed. Aug. 20 in Key West (don't know if I can get refund). I'm wondering if it's even worth it to drive down on Wed, for possible diving/snorkeling on Thr. morning.

Last year we were in La Parguqra, Puerto Rico, a few days after a hurricane passed by. The visibility was not great, maybe 30-40'. So just curious if I shouldn't expect good diving/snorkeling conditions, or if any boat will go out.

Thanks.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
154 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
1. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

Post windy waters will be murkey whether it's P.R., New Zealand, Hawaii or Key West. We'll turn on the water cleaners as soon as the storms moves past us this afternoon but I'd predict similiar conditions. :-)

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
993 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

You may have delays in Miami due to heavy rains. Bad timing for diving.....or keys vaca...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,494 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

The other consideration is that the boats may not be going out because of the heavy seas and because they can't get the minimum required for a trip.

Pjk

Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

What do you think about 3 weeks from now?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
5. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

3 weeks from now is night and day. The weather is after all, unpredictable. Just keep an eye on it and plan accordingly. Trip insurance is a good thing this time of year.

Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

I had booked round island Jetski tour on Wed. Aug. 20 sunset time. Also diving/snorkeling on Thr. Aug. 21 morning.

I contacted both ops. Both of them said they hope conditions will be good to go at that time. But if I don't get there they won't charge me for cancellation.

I'm still waiting to see if I can drive down to Key Largo tomorrow Tue. evening, then Key West on Wed.

Key West
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

The boats will go out in KW Thursday. Forecast - SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. Come to KW and go for it. KW should be the first place to get the water to clear out, and strong tides right now should help. I bet you can have a great time here on land also. Only problem, one night in KW and all the way from Canada? You may wish that you planned more time here. Please post a review after your too brief KW stop.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,494 posts
120 reviews
8. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

People...

One time I was waiting to board the Floridays for an afternoon snorkel trip at a time when there were heavy seas. The captain, rightly I think, asked the people if there was anyone who had never snorkeled or who were not strong swimmers. About four people raised their hands and he said that they could come along but he could not let them into the water at the reef. And that if they decided not to go he would refund their money. They opted not to go, and conditions at the reef were interesting with a three or four foot swell. But not as interesting as the sail back to Key West.

Anyway, if this happens to you in the next coule of days it is nothing personal. The captains are just concerned with your safety and the safety record of the boats.

Pjk

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

KWCaptain what boat do you have, and where might you go diving?

I see the weather forecast might have 50% t-storm. That's the worrying part.

Was the evacuation order for non-residents lifted for the keys? I couldn't find some official announcements about that, but most reports are focusing on where Fay is and going.

Key West
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Should I come to Key West for diving/snorkeling Thr. Aug. 21

I am from Catamaran Echo. We do not dive on the Echo, only snorkel. But I've been here for 20 years and I do dive. Again, come on down. Right now we had our last 15 minute squall line go through and it looks like the sun is out for the rest of the day. Also, don't confuse Miami weather forecasts with KW weather (many people do). Thursday is forecast at our tropical summer normal of 30% for rain. We sail around little rain clouds all summer long. There is an all clear now in KW. Sorry that the media doesn't report the good news, but we're about back to normal. I'm on my way to the bank. Everything's open, no damage. Come have a great time in Key West.