We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeez! - I really need some help ....

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
Jeez! - I really need some help ....

So, it's like this .....

We're a UK couple coming to KW for the first time on 18th Oct for 4 nights - via Miami.

I've booked an ocean front room at Case Marina. Very nice I'm sure but I've started to think again! I would cancel the Casa - and take the one night $300 hit - if I can find a beautiful property closer into the action. My thinking is that we want to be able to stroll around, sometimes in and out of the hotel with bags etc, rather than have to make a special effort to leave the hotel and head into town which we'd have to do, I think, at Casa. Casa would be our perfect beach front get way but I just don't want us to miss out by hanging around the hotel and only making 'trips' into town etc.

So, we want a reasonable pool (not just a tub) and real quality and character in a sensible location.

I've got an offer of a room at City House, Mermaid and Alligator (pricey though), and La Mer Dewey so far! La Mer has us on the beach and the option to use Southern Hotel's pool but just how much closer to the strolling action is it than Casa, and how nice is it? City House seems a good option with ok rooms and a decent location. Mermaid seems perfect, except for the small pool and high prices.

Can anybody help with these or any other suggestions? We're not party animals but want a beautiful retreat that puts us close to nightlife, shops and general good times. Again, we really want higher end accomodation with atmosphere. What are the views on these three places for a combination of quality and lcoation and what others can you think of? What's the area at the South end of Duval like for cafes / shops etc or do we need to yomp up to the North end before for everything?

Thanks to all as usual.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

Of the ones you listed, I would pick Island City House. La Mer and Dewey is really nice but I'm not sure how the constuction next door is coming along.

We stayed at Southernmost on the Beach in July. Their pool was closed then and I don't think it has ever reopened. We did enjoy the main pool at Southernmost though.

There are many places to dine and shop on the southern end. We snjoyed the Banana Cafe, Southernmost Beach Cafe, Grand Vin,and Camilles to name a few.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,720 posts
121 reviews
2. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

I doubt that it is possible now but the "Casa Marina North" is the Pier House; Beach, good (deep) pool, beach-side restaurant, sunsets, sunrises, a garden area around the pool that is nicer than the grounds at the Casa, and you can walk off the property and you are at 1 Duval Street, have lunch in a wrap, and go back and swim in the ocean. All of this for less $'s / night and no extra, hidden fees. You simply have to pay for a cab to and from the airport unless you are driving, in which case there is free, guarded parking.

It's probably booked now for your dates, but it will only take 2 minutes to verify on-line. If so, try next door at the hyatt. Similer set-up but the pool and beach are not as nice.

www.pierhouse.com

hth

Pjk

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,513 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

I've stayed at Island City House a couple times, and have friends who stay there as well. I love the rooms in the 'main' house that have the semi-private verandas. Very nice. Friends stayed in the Cigar House a couple years ago. Nice rooms, but I prefer the main house. They're also stayed in the Arch House, not as nice.

You can't beat the location, and the pool is decent sized.

Personally, I avoid staying at places right on Truman. Too much traffic, although Mermaid and Alligator has great 'curb appeal'.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

I have to agree with Pjk, The Pier House sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
5. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

pjk suggested the Pier House? Dang! lol (In this instance, it's on the money!)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

If I was going to take a $300 hit to cancel the Casa, I'd stay there and cab back and forth from the other end of Duval, you'd still come out ahead, dollar wise.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,720 posts
121 reviews
7. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

I'm seeing a room or rooms available for a check-in of 10/18 and a check-out of 10/22, then I get an error on their reservation screen so I can't tell you what type of room it might be. If it clears up I'll see what there is and post it. But just in case...

Tel: 305-296-4600, 800-723-2791

Fax: 305-296-7569

Pjk

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

Good work guys. Any more comments re classy B&B type places.I'll check out the Pier as well PJK.

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

No. Pier House fully booked.

an island
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
10. Re: Jeez! - I really need some help ....

Stop second guessing yourself...tha Casa is gorgeous. And as someone mentioned, why take a 300 dollar hit when a cab is 7 bucks? That's a lot of taxi rides.