We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thing you can't miss....

Springfield IL
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One thing you can't miss....

My wife and I have been going to the Galleon for several years in a row. We're inviting friends of ours down this year (Sept), it's their first trip. We have our list of things that we enjoy, but I would not consider us to be experts on the island by any means. What's the one thing you would suggest that they just can't miss, especially on their first trip?

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One thing you can't miss....

A sunset sail would be my first choice if a must do for a first timer.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One thing you can't miss....

Get off the main streets and spend some time walking the side streets of Old Town, preferably early in the morning as the town wakes up. It's my favorite part of the day, and my best memories of Key West.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One thing you can't miss....

One trip on the water, whether it's a morning snorkel, a sunset sail, a combination of the two, or, better still, an all-day trip on Danger or Sebago so that they can see the water, peek under the water, and kayak over it.

Pjk

Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One thing you can't miss....

You probably have just about everything on you list that could be suggested. I would share with them YOUR favorite thing to do.

There is always the obvious like Mallory Square, getting out on the water, touring all the sites but also consider getting off the island and visiting some of the other islands or just hanging out at Bahia Honda State Park for the day.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One thing you can't miss....

I always say just turn em loose and let them walk... You're staying at my favorite spot on the island and right in the middle of everything.

I tend to believe that the island kinda guides you all on its own. Set up a cruise or something on the water, but for the most part, I strongly encourage not planning too much. We do plenty of that back home=)

Some of my favs are HogsBreath Raw Bar, Grand Vin and the Rum Bar.

Key West
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One thing you can't miss....

Don't miss the new Dock Cafe located right at the bottom of the Galleon. Open for breakfast and lunch, the food is great, light years ahead of what the old management did. Fresh baked bread every day and everything else is made from scratch on site. They also just opened a Wine and Tapas Bar "Wine by the water" open Thursday- Monday 4pm-9pm. A great selection of both wine and tapas, trust me I have tried them all.

Some of the best options for quality boat trips are along the Harbor Walk, which starts at the Galleon and goes around the KW Bight to the Ferry Terminal. Also great shopping, restaurants and watering holes are along the H Walk, especially the Schooner Wharf Bar, a favorite among this forum's elite, and myself. See you on the Harbor Walk and on the water.

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One thing you can't miss....

Definitely get your friends out on the water. Weather it's an adventure trip like Fury or Sebago depends on what you and your friends like. If they're game for something like this, I'm sure they're both great, though we've only done Fury. I'd do this again in a second, and we may when we return.

This Oct/Nov, we'll do the Wind & Wine Cruise with Danger which, by all accounts, is an excellent experience.

BUT, for one memorable KW time: If I were in KW with my best pal and spouse, you can't go wrong shooting a game of pool (Take pictures. Trust me: You'll enjoy them later!) at Capt Tony's while enjoying some Pirate's Punch. Not on the list of "things to do in KW," but GREAT times!

Have a great trip, relax (!) and give us a report when you're back.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One thing you can't miss....

I whole heartedly agree with Arnie. You may not consider yourselves 'Key West Experts' BUT you are more expert in your's and you friends tastes than we are.

Remember your very first trip to Key West? What was it about Key West that makes you comes back? What did you do on your first trip that gave you a good case of Keys Desease?? Do THAT with them and you'll have a couple of Key West traveling companions for life!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One thing you can't miss....

I'll bet you haven't done this and I'll also bet he won't mind me suggestion this...

Try to hook up with Mike Mongo for a snorkeling trip. Half the fun will be sailing out to the reef and chatting with him, and back. And there's a rumor going 'round that he attracts sharks. Hammerheads!

This has become a highlight of my trips down.

Pjk

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One thing you can't miss....

PJ, *I* want to do that as well! All we get out here locally are rays, halibut and the odd sea lion barking at the charter boats. Some little sand sharks (zzz) and dolphins. Me, I wanna see a real hammerhead in the wild.

So, where do I sign up? I'm down in December (hurry up, Dec!)

to the OP---I agree, you know best what makes KW fun for you, go off that idea (unless you know for certain an interest clashes with our friends). I second Captain Tony's and being up early to explore the town before everyone's out (though preferably not on a consecutive night/day!)

enjoy!