We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time from Miami Airport

Delaware
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Drive time from Miami Airport

I'm sure this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find an existing thread.

In reality, what is the drive time from Miami to Key West? My wife and I, along with another couple are trying to decide if it is worth renting the car (we'll be in town Fri - Tues) and driving or spending the money to make the connection into Key West Airport. The overall cost savings is just a couple hundred bucks, but if the drive is too long...my time is money too.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
111 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Free Cancellation
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
120 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
396 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Free Cancellation
Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

Here is a thread that might help.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k212758…

Delaware
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

Thank you for the thread...it was exactly what I was looking for. I figured it was out there somewhere.

Grand Rapids mi
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

you may be right,,,time is money....but i purposily fly into FLL to have the drive down...and I HATE DRIVING....but this is different....we do fly out of KW...but drive down and enjoy the ride!!!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

Some people love this drive and others hate it. I hate it! With so little time, I'd advise you fly in and out...especially out, because hurrying back to Miami for a flight is no fun. Plan on at least 4 hours for the drive, and if there's an accident along the way there can be hours of wait time.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,889 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

I cast my vote in the "love to drive" column. It generally takes us a little less than 4 hrs from Ft. Lauderdale ( which is about 30-45 min north of Miami) if we drive straight through, but there are so many neat places to stop- like Robbie's to feed the tarpon -and I can't imagine missing the drive over the 7 mile Bridge! To me the drive is an important part of the Keys experience- the first hour or so will be a bit borimg ( and I am not fond of getting into or out of Miami Airport- wish you were coming to Ft.Lauderdale. ) But I would definitely say save the money and make the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

I'm for the drive at least once. See the Keys, not just Key West. There is so much to see and it's a beautiful drive. I hate that people think the Keys are just Key West - and that's what happens when they don't see what else is out there.

I prefer flying into MIA than FLL. I still haven't figured out why people like FLL! I have been out of there twice in the last month and missed a turn both times. (different turns) MIA - right out to the highway and bam - Turnpike! And the extra time from FLL to the Keys is not a favorite either.

Whichever you do Delaware - have a blast!

7. Re: Drive time from Miami Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 23:17