We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bar you would NOT visit again

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A bar you would NOT visit again

Please don't bash but explain which bar (not restaurant, we'll do that next) you wouldn't go into next visit and why. Bad service? Overpriced? Too loud? Please try to be helpful to someone, not just a complaint. That should be directed at the MGR of the bar. Thank you.......

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
122 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
129 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
397 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

I doubt we'll go into Rumba's again. We used to really like it. It was low keyed, the bar tender was always nice and kept our drinks coming.

The last couple times there, the bartender was too busy goofing off with her friends at the other end of the bar. Also seems like one of the bathrooms is ALWAYS broken. The place has alot of potential for a small bar. Guess it just needs the right people running the place.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

It's all about the attitude of the staff:

We won't go into the Lazy Gecko again. We tried it at least twice before. Both times, service was lousy. Bartenders seemed to resent the fact that we were there and didn't seem interested in seeing if we wanted anything after the first round.

We also had a bad experience at Mangoes. Overpriced drinks, and the bartender was very uptight, arrogant and unhelpful.

These two places were very Un-Key West like in the attititudes we received.

Mentioned in this post
Mangoes Restaurant Key West
Mangoes Restaurant Key...
1,721 Reviews
Key West, FL
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

Irish Kevin's will not see me darken it's door step again. It's loud, expensive, obnoxious, and if you don't watch your money closely, it will disappear in there. Bartenders have been known to take a $20 note and give change for $10. Irish Kevin's is to Irish pubs, what sushi is to a pasta house.

coastal nc
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

Both times we have been to Key West, we (my husband especially) really wanted to like Hog's Breath. It just never felt fun. It wasn't horrible but we have found way too many really fun choices to go back.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

I'd have to second Mangoes but it was more the bartender, not the physical plant. Twice we went, twice I ordered a mudslide after seeing someone else enjoying one, and twice the bartender was sirly with me and just added milk and mudslide mix to the leftovers already in the blender, so I got a half-strength cocktail. Not that I want solid booze but I want the same as the guy next to me, not watered down leftovers. Both times I pointed it out and DID NOT PAY for the drink. No manager around, so nobody to complain to. Just left.

Mentioned in this post
Mangoes Restaurant Key West
Mangoes Restaurant Key...
1,721 Reviews
Key West, FL
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

We wandered into Island Dogs last trip. They had some awesome reggae music going on that drew us in. Only about half the bar seats were taken so, that's where we sat..and waited..and waited..smiled and waved..and watched the bartenders apply lipstick..and talk and giggle with each other..and we waited..and waited..then we left.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

I don't think there is any bar in KW that I would not go back to (As opposed to places I wouldn't go into in the first, such as the gay places. Nothing against them, just not gay. Likewise the Hardrock. Nothing against it, either, just not 21 and easily swayed by marketing). Sure, I'll complain about the service at SWB and the Parrot but I'll be in one or both every visit. Likewise, Sloppy's because it's too much a tourist icon, but I'll wind up there every so often, too. Actually, there is one place I'm not too keen on, but has more to do with me than it--Fat Tuesday. Frozen drinks give me an ice cream headache (a/k/a a brain freeze).

Your 'Gimme a beer or better yet, a Jack black, with water and a lot of ice' pal,

Davy

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

Have to say we have been lucky with most Bars in KW. Will not rush back to the Bar at the Airport to quick it was dirty and dumpy.

PJ

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

I seoond Hog's Breath - we went there and it smelt of "off milk" a slightly sicky smell. It was ok at the tables but a bit smelly at the bar. We still stayed and waved at the Web cam though!

10. Re: A bar you would NOT visit again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2008, 22:09