We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West July/August

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
400 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Key West July/August

Hello, we are planning a honeymoon in Key West in July/August of 09. Can anyone reccomend a nice place for honeymooners that maybe has a good breakfast available each morning and is close to the action on Duvall? A lot of the B&B's have what seem to be decent breakfasts each morning and an included happy hour each evening . I'm just not sure as "honeymooners" if a B&B is the way to go , if you know what I mean :) Any thoughts appreciated. We have never been to KW before.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
122 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
129 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
397 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
boston
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West July/August

We got married last May in Key west and spent our honeymoon there. We stayed at The Ambrosia in the "jungle room". It was perfect, very private, in the back of the older house. The room was large with it's own french door entrance. And a huge walk in shower. We really never saw the other guests except at breakfast which was across the street at the newer Ambrosia too. The jungle room had a large deck right outside the doors with lounge chairs and an umbrella table and a hot tub to the left of that. It was technically suppose to be "common area" for all guests but in 10 days we never saw anyone out there. We loved it there! It's about 3-4 blocks up from Duval.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
772 Reviews
Key West, FL
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
392 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West July/August

Ocean Key Resort and Spa is right at Duval, really romantic rooms, lovely views (extra but worth the $$$), great restaurant that serves a nice breakfast, etc. I would really recommend it!

KW

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,927 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
772 Reviews
Key West, FL
Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West July/August

I would check out Ocean Key or Pier House. Both nice hotels right on the north end of Duval and close to all the action. They are more expensive then b&bs but your going in the slow season so rates aren't that bad.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,927 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
772 Reviews
Key West, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West July/August

B&B is usally a bit cheaper and can be very intimiate. Some have rooms set apart from the others (See Tropical Inn, Chelsea house, and The Avalon). They aren't "cookie-cutter" rooms but are more homey. Tropical Inn has 2 cottages out back by the pool and a nice continental breakfast spread in the a.m. and has a great location.

It really depends on if you like the standard hotel experience or something more personal and individual.

Mentioned in this post
Tropical Inn
Tropical Inn
925 Reviews
Key West, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West July/August

You do know that it will be hot, hot and humid???

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
400 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West July/August

LOL ... yes I know it will be very hot ... but for reasons we can't control we have to do the honeymoon in the summer. We are from NY and thought about the Boston/Salem MA area but it would be peak season and prices are outrageous. So we figured if we are going to spend the dough we wanted to get to Key West. After reading the reviews it seems the B&B's are a little more intimate and I like the idea of breakfasts and happy hours with other guests. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
10,821 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West July/August

I also would suggest Ocean Key but also take a look at The Almond Tree Inn. Its really nice and in a great location.

http://www.almondtreeinn.com/

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,927 Reviews
Key West, FL
Almond Tree Inn
Almond Tree Inn
1,815 Reviews
Key West, FL
Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
939 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West July/August

Dee,

We were in KW this past July and it was HOT!!!!

If you have never been in the south in July or Aug. you should consider an alternative. Being a native New Englander, we were not prepared for the heat and did not appreciate it until we were here....It is Hot and a wedding in July? The suits and the dresses will be soaked in sweat...

Just my thoughts...

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
400 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West July/August

We are getting married here in NY in April , but have 5 kids altogether and are honeymooning while they are on vacation with their other parents, so we have no choice , did the heat ruin your vacation?

E Midlands
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West July/August

We are also planning on being there next July - is it hotter down in Key West than up in Orlando?

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL