We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Key West Itenerary

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
My Key West Itenerary

We are now less than one month from Key West. I have been reading this forum a little bit each day and I want to say thank you to all of you Key West regulars who were instrumental in my planning our vacation. Without your help I am sure that we would have missed most of the places we are planning on going. I would be most appreciative of any and all input if you see something on here that we missed or something that is on here that we shouldn't do. From all of your input I have no idea how one can see all of the things there is to do in just one week in Key West. We will be arriving on Saturday June 23rd and departing Saturday June 30th.

Day 1: Arrive in Fort Lauderdale around 2 PM and pick up our rental car from Sixt (along with our Sunpass), stopping for a quick burger in Islamarada at Shulas. From your input I know there is better places to stop, but the operative word here is quick. We are also Don Shula fans from way back. We should arrive in Key West before 7:00 PM. We are staying at La Mer at the Southernmost complex. We will probably have our first night's dinner at the Southernmost Cafe on the Beach. If we are not too tired after dinner then we will probably hit Duval Street for a few hours.

Day 2: Since this is the only Sunday we will be in Key West we are doing brunch at Little Palm Island. I didn't mention we are to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary on the 27th so each day will be a celebration of sorts. I loved bellaDonna's photos of Little Palm Island and can't wait to have brunch there. We will just play the rest of the day by ear and will probably hit Mallory Square for the Sunset. From your recommendations we are going to the Tiki Bar for a small dinner and cocktails.

Day 3. Breakfast at La Mer (included each day with our stay) and plan on a day at the beach. Dinner reservations are at La Trattoria and cocktails at Virgilio's, again with your recommendations.

Day 4: Another beach day and getting to know Key West. Dinner day 3 was for my wife. Dinner tonight is for me. Thanks to Pjk we have reservations at A&B Lobster House. As I mentioned in one of my ramblings I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Day 5: Our anniversary so whatever she wants to do. Dinner tonight is at Michaels. Plan on dessert at the Better than Sex dessert restaurant.

Day 6: Probably the beach for 1/2 day and doing the Foridays Sunset/Dinner special at the Hyatt. Looking forward to the best Sunset that I have had in years.

Day 7: Last full day in Key West. Don't have a clue what we will do, but I hope we found something during the week to do for our last night.

Day 8: Early breakfast and back on the road to Fort Lauderdale. Hope we get there early enough to drive around. Our flight back to Dallas is around 5:00.

Thanks again for any input. Forgive me for rambling, but I just wanted to thank any and all on this forum.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Hi jerry, we are renting from sixt as well on the 29th. If you get a chamce let me know how your.pick up was. One.piece.of advice, if you didn't opt for their insurance you need to bring proof that your insurance covers a rental. If not you will be at the cointer for a long time.

Your itinerary sounds awesome. I have a spreadsheet, but thinking.of leaving it home and.doing whatever we feel.like. i do know we will be at turtle kraals on friday the 29th for the.races, never seen that and it sounds fun.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Key West Itenerary

You might want to get out on the water. Even a sunset cruise would give you an idea of why we live here.

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Thanks for the advice mamaduck1. I am a retired Insurance agent and didn't even think about taking an insurance card. How dumb is that? Looks as if we will just miss one another on our trips. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Thanks jdjn9. I agree that we should get out on the water. Our day 6 is a Sunset cruise and dinner afterwards at the Hyatt. Can't wait to visit your wonderful city. If there are other suggestions please feel free to let me know. Thanks again.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My Key West Itenerary

If you can fit it in, sometime early in your stay you should take the Conch Train or one of the trolley tours.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Hey my beer drinking friend LOL , congrats on the anny!!! Definately try to squeeze in one of the trolley rides , it serves up a great history on the island , shows some "must do's", nice layout of the island , and offers up some great photo opts. The LaMer looks awesome and I think you will enjoy your stay there. Do the Mallory Square thing then check out the sunset from The Top (roof top bar in the La Concha hotel). Try to find The Chart Room and have a Red Stripe at the Smallest Bar. Oh and tell me what you think of Kalik Beer. Have fun!!!

Grand Rapids mi
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Key West Itenerary

looks like a great trip. i was worried when i saw the title that you were another "too much planning" type, glad you are not !!!! 2 suggestions...I agree take the conch train/trolly early in your visit. and I would also try the sunset cruise early in your week, just in case the last few days are not as good for weather . and don't forget your trip report after....have fun !!!!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Key West Itenerary

I agree with taking the train or trolley on perhaps day 3 or 4. it looks like you haven't packed too many things into your days, and have time for some optional activities!! Have fun!!!!

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Great suggestions guys. We'll be sure and work in the train or trolley ride early part of the week. See what I mean Coach and Socrog about not having enough time in Key West to do everything we want to do in one short week? Thursday evening is the only day that we can work in a Sunset Cruise so I hope the weather that day is perfect Socrog. And Coach I'll think of you when I have a Kalik. Got a fridge full of Red Stripe now so I will have one for you today. Thanks for the Conch Train advice KJHawk. I've put that on our agenda.

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Key West Itenerary

Thanks Key Limey. I was pleased to see that A&B Lobster House is one of your favorites. I hope it becomes one of mine.