We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

K Y
California
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Hi, Our cruise ends in Miami on Saturday (Jun 23) at 7am and our flight out (domestic) is at 7:50pm. We are interested in visiting Little Havana, Wynwood Arts District, Art Deco Walk; and Coconut Grove and Flamingo Garden (if time permits). What is the best way to see all these sites and how much time should we allow for each stop? Are they all on the HoHo bus route? We would need to store our luggage (2 carry-ons only) during this time.

Our cruise has a city tour excursion ($60 pp) including HoHo Bus city tour, luggage storage, and transfer to MIA (from Bayside Market Place), so it will be total $120 for two of us. Was wondering if this is a good value and if their route would cover everything we would like to see. I think they have a 3pm and a 5pm shuttle to the airport from the Bayside Market Place stop. I suppose that's where they store our luggage.

Hope to get this sorted out prior to our departure this Thursday. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

7 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,060 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Seams very ambitious IMO. I’d drop Flamino Gardens, it’s 40min car ride north of the Port. I’d also have a backup plan in case of weather.

NC
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

We would not attempt this much on the day of our flight, but if you're comfortable doing so, then go for it. :)

If you do this, take the 3pm shuttle to the airport. The 5pm is way too risky. The shuttle could be running late, there may be traffic, etc. You need cushion time to get to the airport and through security.

You should check out TA's sister site, cruise critic also. You will find lots of folks over there who have probably done this before and can share their experiences.

https:/…

Also, in case this is your first cruise, know that 7am is when the ship is scheduled to be back in MIA. That is not the time you will be walking off the ship. It could be 9am or later before walking off, unless you book the ship's excursion. They will tell you what time you'll need to get off the ship and where to meet up.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 22:36
K Y
California
Level Contributor
31 posts
3. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Thanks for your suggestions and the link to Cruise Critic. We are new to cruising and just used it for cruise reviews and didn't notice it also has a Forum feature. There is so much info that without the direct link from Jennmaybe, I would spend hours navigating the site and still may not get there. Thank you!

Of the 4 remaining sights: (Little Havana, Wynwood Arts District, Art Deco Walk; and Coconut Grove), can you help in prioritizing and suggestions on time allowance ?

On a different topic, what's the mosquito situation in Miami? I am a mosquito magnet and wondering how protected I need to be. Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

You're welcome! We've been cruisers for a long time, but we had already been on 2 before I found out about cruise critic. You're right--there is soooo much out there!

Honestly, I would go with the cruise ship's excursion on this one. Since they are also providing transportation to the airport and luggage storage, it's a good deal. Plus, you don't have to worry about transportation yourself.

You shouldn't have any problems with mosquitos during the day. Just evenings, like the rest of us. :)

K Y
California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Yes, sounds like the cruise excursion city tour is the easiest way to go. Thanks for your help!

Geneva
Level Contributor
29 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Hi,

Don't worry about the mosquitoes.

It is usually way too hot during the day. The only way you can be bothered is if you get a rainy day.

You can easily tour Miami Beach, Wynwood and Design District. Coconut Grove is way south and might take a lot of time to get to. You can also plan to visit the Perez Art Museum or Frost Science Museum, both are located right next to Port Miami.

http://pamm.org

http://www.frostscience.org

You can move around the city easily using taxis, Uber/Lyft or trolleys.

As far as your bags are concerned, we always use the luggage transfer of Jet Service.

They pickup the bags when you disembark and deliver at the airport. You can contact Peter, he's very helpful (customerservice@myjetservice.com).

NC
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please

Excellent decision!!

You're welcome! Enjoy your cruise and Miami!!

Edited: 15 June 2018, 00:35
Reply to: 8 hrs post cruise itinerary advise please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted