We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach at Night

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
South Beach at Night

I'm sure this has been asked before but can't find anything. I guess that walking around Collins ave and Ocean drive at 2-3 in the morning is relatively safe but what about walking along the beach at that time? I understand the be aware of your surrondings, but just wondered if anyone has done this and encountered or know of any concerns. It will be just the wife and I.

Mentioned in this post
Collins Hotel
Collins Hotel
1,037 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
5 replies to this topic
m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Beach at Night

The beach is closed to the public from 10 pm to sunrise. This is partly to deter crime and partly to deter people from sleeping there. It’s not very dangerous, but I don’t recommend a walk on the beach after 10 pm.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 02:53
Watford, UK
Level Contributor
398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Beach at Night

I wouldn't recommend walking along the beach, just because it is darker. Walking along Ocean Drive which is right next to the beach should be fine, because there are plenty of hotels and nightclubs along there and the area is always busy. You are right about Collins Ave too, that should be fine as it has hotels, bars, clubs and restaurants and lots of people about.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
10,343 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Collins Hotel
Collins Hotel
1,037 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Beach at Night

Not a good idea at all to walk on the beach late at night. Stick to Ocean Drive, Collins Ave, and other well-lit areas which are full of other people.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
10,343 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Collins Hotel
Collins Hotel
1,037 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Amanda, Ohio...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: South Beach at Night

South Beach is very safe, just watch out for the cars, traffic is very heavy and people drive like idiots there. You'll see kids in Lambos and Ferrari flying down the road.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,260 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Beach at Night

yes, South Beach is very safe if you use common sense and stay in areas where there are a lot of people.

But to walk on the actual beach itself (on the sand near the ocean) at night is strongly discouraged by local police dept. (& in fact the beach itself is officially closed at night).

No problem to walk on Ocean Drive right next to the beach, or other areas where all the retsaurants, shops and hotels are located.

Edited: 07 March 2018, 23:02
Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,260 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
10,343 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Reply to: South Beach at Night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted