We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..

Hi all,

First of all, thank you in advance for reading this lengthy message. Wouldn't be posting if we weren't a little desperate for answers.

We are going to Miami in early April for 6 days with our 11 month old. He is very energetic and needs lots of room to crawl around and probably run by that time, so we are trying to figure out our accommodation situation.

We fly in directly to Miami. We would love some beach time but don't care for a party atmosphere or lots of people - priorities as far as beaches go is clean and waters that may be good to go into with a toddler for a dip. Neither of us are looking for 8 hour days at the beach - at most we'd be there an hour or two a day as baby would likely not have patience for it any longer than that.

Lastly before I get to my questions, we are also hoping not to break the bank as we are dealing with a Canadian dollar which has a terrible exchange rate right now so we know the day to day will be quite expensive there.

Here is what we were wondering:

1. Should we look for a property right on the beach, or is it okay to stay in places like Hialeah or Miami Gardens or Fort Lauderdale or West Palm etc (obviously not familiar with any of these places) - basically in the city. Would the trek with the baby to get to the beach as far as transport and parking etc goes be too onerous?

2. Should we rent a car? Given the baby, we won't be able to just sit at the beach all day and would love to explore miami - are ubers fairly accessible or would our lives just be easier with a car?

3. Can anyone recommend a baby gear rental place - we would be looking for a car seat, maybe a crib, a high chair, toys etc - just stuff to keep him busy. I have heard there are services that rent these out. We would ideally be looking for drop off and pick up.

4. What's the best way to get from Miami airport to our eventual hotel - cab or rental car? Are there rental car stations at the airport?

5. I have had Bal Harbour, Sunny Isles, Hollywood beach, North Beach, etc recommended to me as spots that may be comfortable beach-side with a baby. I have looked at the hotels that have pools because that is important to us. The problem I am having with finding accommodations here is everything seems to start at 400-500 a night. We would want to get a more suite type hotel to give baby room to roam around and so that kicks the price up in the range of 500-600 a night and more. Can anyone recommend anything else that would be big, spacious, have the cleanliness of a hotel but also not break the bank? Any deals or sales at the moment you could recommend?

At the end of the day, just want to see where is best to stay with baby that would give us beach time, pool time, and be a comfortable and nice stay that feels like a vacation. We don't mind having to drive around. And lastly, somewhere ideally that won't cost a crazy amount.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks a million fellow TAs!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Hollywood Beach
Hollywood Beach
4,556 Reviews
Hollywood, FL
Beach Boats
Equipment Hire
CityCarts
Equipment Hire, City Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Whizzy Ride
Equipment Hire
3 replies to this topic
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..

say>

You've got to input your exact trip dates into the TA search field at the top of the page along with a budget that suits your style. These kinds of specifics are essential to narrow your focus.

You may find your Canadian budget goes farther on a site like airbnb where a full condo may be a better fit so you can be in one room while your child sleeps. Towns like Sunny Isles Beach and Surfside would be a good fit to have beach and also walkable restaurants and bars etc without the worry and expense of a rental car. On Miami Beach - limit your search to post code 33139 to be close to activities without needing a car. Miami Beach has a free trolley service plus the airport flyer shuttle bus that is under $3 per guest (see FAQ top right).

Additionally, Sunny Isles and Surfside have free local shuttles to travel around if you decide to stretch out a little in the afternoons (area malls, movies etc).

A quick Google "miami baby gear rental" yields multiple outlets for your visit.

AG

Mentioned in this post
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..

I just booked a great 3 BDr house for my family with a hot tub for 216 a night! Air BNB Think of touro app for renting cars.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 11:13
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..

Sunny Isles Beach would be the best option with a baby. No car needed. Many great public parks with good safe play areas for babies & toddlers, and everything walkable. Also free stroller-friendly shuttle busses to all parts of the neighborhood. (Definitely bring a light-weight folding stroller.) Restrooms with diaper changing facilities at the public beach park, just very family-friendly community in general.

here’s a link to the Sunny Isles Beach city website. Click on the section for Visitors for lots of helpful information:

www.sibfl.net

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Desperate new parents looking for suggestions..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted