We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

Lake District UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

I am planning a trip to Florida in Feb2018. I have narrowed the area down to Naples, Ft Myers Captiva and Sarasota. This wil be the second part of a holiday with Virgin Holidays. We are in our mid 60s will hire a car and are looking for a quiet, child and family free, resort or villa were we can self cater. Can anyone help with suggestions? I have been looking at the hotels/resorts/ villas in the virgin brochure but not sure which to go for. Naple seems a good area, we like the beach but will be flying to Florida after 10 days in Antigua. Also what will the weather be like in Feb? Will it be warm we don't like it too hot but not too cold either. Help Please.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

February was pretty good this year - mostly late 70s/early 80, but it can be variable at that time of the year. Naples is furthest south of the places you mention, so it will be warmer than say Sarasota. Naples is a beautiful upscale destination - lovely beaches, good shopping and restaurants but also lots of other things to do, especially as February is high season so there's always lots going on. For a more peaceful environment combined with your wish to self cater I would think that you would be better opting for a villa rather than a resort or hotel. Hope this helps narrow down your search! Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,358 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

Florida may well not be anywhere near as hot as Antigua.....which will be scorching in February! We were there this Feb and last Feb and it really was boiling. So, if you don't like too hot weather......???

Edited: 19 March 2017, 02:59
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

We just returned to (cold) New York after spending the month of February in Naples. Specifically we rented a condo near Vanderbilt Beach. We liked this area because it is outside of , but not too far from, Old Naples. We were across the street from Vanderbilt Beach which is spectacular and goes on and on. Just a 5 minute drive from several upscale shopping/restaurant areas (Mercato, Waterside Shoppes, Venetian Village) There are SO many restaurants from which to choose....almost too many! Reservations are absolutely necessary unless you want to dine before 500 or after 900. There were theater & music options, movie theaters, and even a comedy club. The weather this year was spectacular.....high 60s or low 70s at night and mid 80s every day. We only had 1 rainy half-day in the entire month! Locals indicated that this year's weather was a bit abnormal, but everywhere seems to be having unusual weather.

I would suggest looking for rentals on sites such as vrbo.com and homeaway.com.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Mercato
Mercato
111 Reviews
Naples, FL
Lake District UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

We go to Antigua a lot so used to the heat for chilling out but want to explore in Florida a bit more

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Lake District UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

Many thanks for your help

Lake District UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

Many thanks for your help

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

I can only add that after a bit of research I spent two weeks in Naples last November.

For us it was perfect; good restaurants, a nice old core, a lovely beach and lots of things to do. We like to potter about and Naples presented us with something to head for each day.

It's a beautiful place!

8. Re: Best Place to stay with on a Virgin Holiday to Naples Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 12:17