We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Not a question. Just my 2 cents

There are do many beautiful places in Florida to visit with beaches. Just pick any of them except Naples and you will be happier. I have never encountered so many rude, pushy and obnoxious people in my life until visiting Naples. The only plus is the old Naples pub. You can find great service, great food and good prices, but that's available in most coastal cities. If you want to relax and enjoy your vacation, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this area. Check out St. Pete/Clearwater or Sarasota instead. As for me, lesson learned.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mediterrano
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
Lima Restaurant and Pisco Bar
$$ - $$$, Peruvian, Latin, Seafood
Maria D'anna Cafe
$$ - $$$, Polish, European, Eastern European
Mich
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Sorry you had a bad day at Naples....it happens. My experience is that the locals are very friendly and helpful.

Much more than Clearwater or St. Pete. Come back sometime when you are feeling better.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Dwayne Dyer ... PBS new age deceased philosopher ... Said u find the type of people in a new area ... that you are.

In other words ... Do your best to reset your own life when meeting rude people.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
841 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

MarcoRed, I like that advice. Never heard it before but I'm going to remember that one. Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

I went to Naples solo a couple years ago, just because I had never really been there. I had a wonderful time. Met some nice people, enjoyed some great food and drink. It was a fun trip.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

The one time we went to St. Pete, we were accosted by a DRUNK Santa Clause. We didn't like Clearwater very much. Never had a bad experience in Naples. You can have a bad experience ANYWHERE, but our MANY times in Naples have proven that it's not a bad place.:)

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

To FloridaRobin, so sorry to hear about your experience! We just spent a month in Naples and had a wonderful time. The only rude person we encountered was a grumbly guy walking his dog that didn't like that we didn't move completely out of his way so his dog had the whole sidewalk to himself. LOL.

In any case, we spend a lot of time in the Tampa area as we have friends and family there. On this trip, we spent 3 days in Tampa and 2 in St. Pete Beach (actually Tierra Verde) on our way to and from Naples. I have found everyone to be equally as nice throughout the state.

I guess the moral of the story is - go where you are comfortable! The beauty of FL is that is has enough choices for all kinds of people: Disney, the Panhandle, the Keys, Miami, Gulf beaches, etc. You tried Naples and don't like it, so no reason to go back.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

My comment was from .. Wayne Dyer ... he is all about controlling your side of meeting people ... you can't change how people treat you but you can control how you respond to others.

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Absolutely love Naples. Going back in November for 10 days. Think this will be our 7th visit.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mich
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Have been there 5-7 times every year for the past 6 years. The only rude people that I have encountered, were drivers at rush hour time. The locals are in a hurry to get home or to work...just as it is in any city. I don't blame them at all..it is their home.

And also...why did the OP single out the Old Naples Pub?

Edited: 05 April 2017, 04:16
Mentioned in this post
Old Naples Pub
Old Naples Pub
651 Reviews
Naples, FL
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
841 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not a question. Just my 2 cents

Steve, if I had to guess Naples just isn't for the OP. If you look at his/her posting history the Olde Naples Pub, and it's very casual environment, seems to be where this person would feel most comfortable. I can see if that's the case then Naples may not be a good fit. But to impugn a whole town in such a provocative manner is regrettable. Frankly, I don't know how one can never have "encountered so many rude, pushy and obnoxious people". We are a small town for goodness sake. I'm guessing the OP has never been to New York then...lol. I love NY!!!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
;