We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

captiva crowd

VA
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
captiva crowd

Someone recently mentioned to me that I will be one of the youngest (mid 40's) in the tourist crowd on Captiva when I visit next week...

This will be my third visit and obviously I was younger before and never noticed a much older crowd.

Experts, please clarify. Is the Sanibel crowd significantly younger and more family oriented?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: captiva crowd

I don't know why someone would say that. Maybe they were thinking of all of the old money that bought all of the big mansions!

Captiva is a little more laid back than Sanibel, mostly because it is smaller and not nearly as developed.

We have stayed on Captiva every summer since 2001 and we see a lot of young families there every visit. It's definately not a retirement village, if that is what you are thinking. My husband and I are also in our mid 40's and our kids were 3, 7 and 11 the first year we went. I can honestly say, I have never really noticed there being more of any kind of crowd,older or younger.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
2. Re: captiva crowd

I'd say that 40's is a common age. It doesn't attract 20 somethings as there's little for them to do by way of entertainment. Too quiet. But the village area an South Seas both attract a lot of families with kids of all ages. No, you won't be the youngest, but there are a goodly number of seniors on both islands.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: captiva crowd

When we were there a couple of weeks ago there were tons of people in their 30's, lots of young families with kids. We did not at all feel like we were on a retirement island!

west palm beach
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: captiva crowd

we just returned and it almost all families that we saw.. really not alot of retirees or a younger crowd. It really was a nice change from the Keys since it seemed more family oriented and not alot of drunks walking around..

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: captiva crowd

lol, i've never ever seen drunks wandering around Captiva!!

west palm beach
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: captiva crowd

Im sure alot of them were giddy lol but the keys are just different in our opinion- more partying and rowdiness. We found Captiva very family oriented compared to our trips to the Keys. Granted this was our 1st trip over to the west coast. We have been frequenting Islamorada and Duck Key for the past 8 years with the kids and decided to give Captiva a try. It definitely was worth it!

clermont, fl
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
7. Re: captiva crowd

If you would have been there in July of last year you would have seen a bunch of them in the Village. My wife, myself, a couple friend of ours and a group of 40 somethings women who get together every year and visit. We drank and danced the night away at Key Lime Bistro. I will be in Captiva from the 8th to the 16th and I DO plan on bringing some life to Captiva. I am 37 and do not plan on getting or acting OLD anytime soon!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: captiva crowd

Gonoles1,

We come in on the 12th. I'll look for you at the Bistro. If we all work together we can destroy the retirement village myth.

west palm beach
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: captiva crowd

Im sure if it gets kinda rowdy anywhere that would be the place. we celebrated my 40th down at the mucky duck with the kids enjoying our key west ale. we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely hit the Bistro next year as it looked like a neat little place. My daughter enjoyed hearing the live music there and the mucky duck while we waited 1.5 hours for our table..

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: captiva crowd

We had lunch twice at the key lime bistro when we were there a couple of weeks ago with lots of kids in tow and it was very good both times, fun place.

Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island
Recent Conversations