We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Issues with the house

St. Louis, MO
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Issues with the house

The house seems great until you get inside. The shower has soap scum, there are ants everywhere. If you bring in food make sure you bring zip-lock bags, we lost a bunch of food and money invested in the food. Anything outside of the fridge gets infested in hours.

The master bedroom was nice until I pulled the sheets off of the bed and found a large urine stain on the bed. In the small guest bedroom we were bit by bugs in the bed in our sleep. All of the beds are hard and uncomfortable. The pillows lead to stiff necks and backs. The bedding was nice but new pillows are a must.

The pool could use a few rafts, and gets a little warm on a hot day. We made a call about the shower not working and they fixed it ASAP.

There are lizards in the house but they didn't bother us, we just caught em and put em back outside.

Close to the beach and a nice walk to the stores in the area. The fishing at the beach was great as well as wildlife sightings.

Over all an"ok" house, could be much better with some updates and a little work.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Issues with the house

What house?

Groveland, Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Issues with the house

I'm gonna guess Leaping Lizard since the person is from MO. and the other posters staying at LL this week are from MO.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Issues with the house

Only MO people stay at Leapin' Lizard? LOL

Groveland, Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Issues with the house

Could be, but it was that plus the same complaint about ants and the shower.

I'll be curious to see what the house is like when we get there on the 12th. We had Calypso for 2 weeks last year, but with 2 little boys (1.5 & 3.5 this year) the stairs got tiresome. I get the feeling Leapin' Lizard will be about the same. A well used rental house, but nice. I'll be sure to post another review when we get back.

I don't think the ants will be an issue since we are use to dealing with them (we live just west of Orlando).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Issues with the house

I've heard that using essential oils (can't remember whether it was peppermint or lavendar) around door jambs, etc. deter ants. Have you tried this and does it work?

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Issues with the house

The ants on captiva can be an issue. We simply kept all food (cereal, everything) in the fridge and cleaned every dish and spoon immediately after use.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Issues with the house

I use the microwave to store salty snacks and other things that need to stay crisp. I use the regular over on occasion too. Both work. One house I rented actually had a breadbox sized storage area that was slightly heated to keep things crisp in the high humidity.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Issues with the house

I'm originally from St. Louis but never stayed at LL, lol. And the lizards are everywhere! You're on Captiva!

9. Re: Issues with the house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:16