We are just back from our long awaited week in Captiva Island. It was glorious as expected. I will make some comments and then any questions would be welcomed. BTW, thanks to all who advised and assisted ahead of time (esp. Tourmaline).
1. Captiva Shores 8A was immaculate and gorgeous! We would stay there again in a heartbeat. The view was stunning and the road was not an issue at all for us.
2. Friends stayed in 8B; not nearly as lovely or as well maintained but the same view so they were happy.
3. Weather was wonderful and the Gulf was the absolute perfect temperature every day.
4. Crab races were much more entertaining than I would have thought. If you have kids, definitely put this in your plans. Food was okay at the Crow's Nest.
5. Overall, dining in Captiva seems mediocre at best. Cannot say that we had a truly memorable meal anywhere except our villa when our friends cooked for us.
6.A couple of establishments we patronized: Green Flash, RC Otters (hair in my son's and my food but Teal the waitress handled it well), Mucky Duck (way overpriced), Timbers in Sanibel (decent food but strange waiter), Jerry's for lunch (very good).
7. Very happy with Royal Shell; would rent from them again.
8. This was our 3rd trip to Captiva; both other stays were just prior to hurricane and we stayed at South Seas. We were able to "sneak" on to walk the entire length of S.S. It really has not recovered its natural beauty. I suspected as much but was still surprised. It just seems like such a disjointed place to me. I am certain that for us renting a place like 8A will continue to be our preference.