We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
just back!

We are just back from our long awaited week in Captiva Island. It was glorious as expected. I will make some comments and then any questions would be welcomed. BTW, thanks to all who advised and assisted ahead of time (esp. Tourmaline).

1. Captiva Shores 8A was immaculate and gorgeous! We would stay there again in a heartbeat. The view was stunning and the road was not an issue at all for us.

2. Friends stayed in 8B; not nearly as lovely or as well maintained but the same view so they were happy.

3. Weather was wonderful and the Gulf was the absolute perfect temperature every day.

4. Crab races were much more entertaining than I would have thought. If you have kids, definitely put this in your plans. Food was okay at the Crow's Nest.

5. Overall, dining in Captiva seems mediocre at best. Cannot say that we had a truly memorable meal anywhere except our villa when our friends cooked for us.

6.A couple of establishments we patronized: Green Flash, RC Otters (hair in my son's and my food but Teal the waitress handled it well), Mucky Duck (way overpriced), Timbers in Sanibel (decent food but strange waiter), Jerry's for lunch (very good).

7. Very happy with Royal Shell; would rent from them again.

8. This was our 3rd trip to Captiva; both other stays were just prior to hurricane and we stayed at South Seas. We were able to "sneak" on to walk the entire length of S.S. It really has not recovered its natural beauty. I suspected as much but was still surprised. It just seems like such a disjointed place to me. I am certain that for us renting a place like 8A will continue to be our preference.

Any questions???

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
1. Re: just back!

I am so glad the condos worked out for you!!!!!!! Tell us more about 8B and why it wasn't as nice.

The Duck has really raised prices the last couple of years. The Green Flash is usually decent, but off season, I think all the places get worse than usual. Other than breakfast, I've kind of given up on RC Otters.

South Seas looks, different, but aside from the construction areas - and they do have a fairly ambitious program in place - I thought they looked really good. The mangroves are still unsightly, in spots, but that's true everywhere.

How did the new bike paths look?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: just back!

Everything but South Seas looked incredibly beautiful to me. Captiva Shores has beautiful vegetation and I am a gardener. With regard to the two units, it is actually hard to compare. I think 8A is in a class by itself considering its unique Asian themed decor that is throughout the entire house. It is just so elegant, yet clean and simple. The enclosed porch area gives it much more interior space but I never missed having an outdoor porch. How could I with the Gulf a few steps away? 8B had evidence of bathroom remodeling but nothing else. There were throw rugs to hide serious tile damage in the kitchen, radio/boombox didn't work, curtains were repaired while we were there. It just had a bit of an old beachy feel to it. Not horrible, it was just that they would come into our unit and we would go into theirs and it was a completely different feel.

Funny thing, Tourmaline...we were at RC Otters for breakfast.

Anybody else think that Captiva could use an Italian/pizza restaurant? Several times we wanted to order takeout pizza and there were no places that I knew of. I was thinking about purchasing 8A and running my pizza delivery out of there! :)

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
3. Re: just back!

Maybe is Starbuck's closes the shop outside South Seas it will revert to a pizzeria. The owners there tried to convince Starbucks to allow them to make and sell it [as of last year the pizza ovens were still there], but it was outside the allowed Starbuck's "formula", so the answer was NO!

There is a pizza place in SSR, called Scoops and Slices, that gets kind of uneven reviews. I would LOVE a great pizza place! Even Sanibel has awful pizza!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: just back!

How intriguing but I couldn't have lived without the starbucks. My friend and I walked every day and the reward was an iced latte at the end of our trek! It tasted mysteriously better than at home.

Missouri
Level Contributor
785 posts
5. Re: just back!

Olivia, Did you happen to try Latte Da next to Otter's? They make a pretty good cup.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: just back!

Olivia,

I just have to know..............did you have a grill and beach equipment? Or did you end up having to purchase or rent things? I am so glad you were happy with your rental. And yes, Captiva dining is mediocre.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: just back!

No, I meant to try Latte Da (such a cute name) but never made it there.

Beach equipment coming out of our ears in the 8A closet!

Funny story...

I was paranoid so I made my husband put a rack and bag on top of our Prius to carry beach chairs, umbrellas,skimboards, etc.

Guess what that does to the mileage on a Prius???

You don't want to know. (cut it almost in half)

My wonderful husband only whined about it for 800 of the 1000 miles we drove!

Funny story #2: Grill was brought to us by the Royal Shell guys. Very nice. (We nicknamed them Darell and Darell after the Newhart show.) Originally, the grill was a gas grill and then it mysteriously turned into a brand new never been used charcoal grill. Never figured out how that happened but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

Oh to be back...

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: just back!

Oh good for you that you had the supplies you need! Bad for you about the gas milage, but you needed that piece of mind to have that stuff with you.

I have to say, we are always very pleased with our rentals through Royal Shell. They go above and beyond for us every time. And things like, the grill being supplied, I am not suprised. I keep going back through them because our experience with them has always been very positive.

So glad you had a great time, time to start planning your next trip!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: just back!

Hi Olivia,

You might remember we exchanged a couple of e-mails on Captiva Shore a while back - we're renting 7a next week.

Did you get a look at 7a? Any thoughts?

Basically, can't wait! Leaving UK next Saturday and won't get there until Sunday pm! What I'd give just to drive... even in a prius!

Glad you had a good time by the way.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
220 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: just back!

Have a wonderful time Wainwright...

7A honestly looks like the second best unit Gulf front Captiva Shores. Beautiful! (I'm biased you know!) I think you will just be in heaven. It is so nice to be sitting on such a glorius beach and turn around and see your house so close and so convenient. Let us know about your holiday, please.

Get answers to your questions about Captiva Island
Recent Conversations