We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

I will be traveling with my 3 boys (13,9,and 6) And my parents. In early August. Trying to decide where to go Captiva or Sanibel?

We want to rent a condo or whatever off the beach. This is a budgeted vacation, so we just want to chill on the beach and eat from our condo. Any sugestions on where to stay? I have been googeling for days now, and they all look the same, but prices are all over the place.

Any sugesstions would be GREAT!!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

The best budget option that are a 5 minute walk to the beach and a great price are both on Sanibel.

Sea Shells of Sanibel http://www.seashellsofsanibel.com/

Off West Gulf and just cross the street to beach access. Good quiet location.

The other choice is Blind Pass Condos well away from shops and restaurants.

http://www.blind-pass.com/ Plus see www.VRBO.com and agency rentals.

Blind Pass Condos sit next to Bowman's Beach and you walk a private path to a wonderful beach - no streets to cross.

Both are near bike paths and both have pools. Blind Pass is the larger of the two and most likely able to accommodate a group your size in one unit - but pay attention to occupancy limits. Blind Pass has a great location for those less interested in restaurants and more interested in wildlife.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

By the way, much as I love Captiva, all other things being equal, you will get less for your money on Captiva than you will on Sanibel. Plus Sanibel has the best budget choices for a group your size.

Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

The only thing I would add is that, depending on when you are going, the dredging project at Blind Pass might rule it out as an option.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

Blind Pass condos are about 4 miles south of the area where the dredging will be. That confuses many people.

Missouri
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

Add me to the list of the confused.......That's why we have you :)

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

Depending on whether there are 6 or 7 in your group, you may need 2 condos. I 100 percent agree with Tournaline that you will get more for your money on Sanibel. Many places that are right on the beach, like Compass Pointe, have "Garden view" units that are very cheap in the summer.

7. Re: sanibel vrs. captiva ..Where to stay????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:16