We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget and extended stay motels

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Budget and extended stay motels

Ocala has a long list off motels/Inns located on South Pine, Silver Springs Blvd etc. that seem to have started out as friendly and welcoming businesses, but somewhere along the line the economy took a toll and these institutions began renting to just anyone. They offer a very cheap weekly rates that attracts mainly drug users, drug dealers, prostitutes, criminals, and the unfortunate struggling families. Anyone whom is traveling can be deceived by the low prices but must understand the amenities are few and the negatives are many. More commonly you can expect bed bugs, cockaroachs, horrible television and if offered wifi reception, dirty rooms, crime. From my own experience I have found that if the pool is not operational this is usually the first red flag, but some of these facilities make no pun and neglect even a single coat of paint to lively up the place a little. Second you can tell whether the patrons are in their rooms or hanging out outside, let's be honest we lounge on our porch or lawn at home but who ever really hangs out in front of their hotel room all day. 3rd you can also usually tell what sort of institution your about to put your family's hands in or yourself by the upkeep of the front desk and the concierge. I have heard and read horror story after horror story about patrons wanting a refund and or asking for their money back minutes after, upon entering the room and being denied. Please remember the police department usually handles criminal matters not civil. Anyone whom is looking to save a dollar or is on a tight budget, and is not staying at a reputable establishment should use sites like TripAdvisor or Google the establishment first, along with first asking to see the room prior to payment. I would like to hear horror stories, because I myself have found out the hard way not all motels have a moral code of ethics and only care about money.

Mentioned in this post
Ocala
Ocala
Central Florida, FL
1 reply
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget and extended stay motels

I was so glad when I found the trip advisor website. Its not just Ocala, its everywhere. Trip Advisor has hotel reviews for most of the reputable hotels and some not so reputable. Even so you have to be careful of fake reviews too. I know everyone has to start somewhere with a post, a review, a comment. Some hotels target each other with reviews that say bad or way too good to be true (usually an owner wanting a free ad). I am very careful about which reviews I believe. I do agree there are quite a few hotels near the Old Silver Springs and downtown area that are what I call Low Rent places, with pay by the week. You are correct that many of those places are going downhill fast. However there are still plenty of decent hotels in the Ocala area and nearby you have Gainesville too.

As for getting your money back I learned the hard way in South Carolina where I paid cash upfront for a room that was so disgusting its beyond description. I had to wait in the lobby for almost 2 hours while they "found" a manager that could give me my money and it wasn't until I started making a scene with every customer who walked through the front door that the manager suddenly appeared and refunded me. I never ever pay cash at a hotel now.

Mentioned in this post
Ocala
Ocala
Central Florida, FL
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Reply to: Budget and extended stay motels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocala