We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal hotel in May

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Universal hotel in May

I'm hoping for some advice as I really can't decide what to do! Me and my boyfriend are going to Orlando for 2 weeks at the beginning of May. We were originally gonna book to stay on site at Universal as we have always wanted to stay there and wanted to have express tickets for the rides. In the end we decided to opt for a cheaper holiday as crowds aren't huge at the beginning of May so are booked to stay in the four points by sheraton studio city on I drive.

It now seems that Harry Potter world might be open (atleast for soft opening) while we are there so we are considering changing our hotel to Royal Pacific Resort. This would cost £1200 more. Do you think it is worth changing? If Harry Potter world is open I know I'll be gutted if I haven't changed hotels but if it's not open would it really be worth the extra cost? And do you think it's likely HP world will be open by early May?

Any help/advice/info would be much appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
The Wizarding World of...
36,439 Reviews
Orlando, FL
newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal hotel in May

there is talk of all universal hotels being sold out because of potter as everyone is having the same ideas

newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal hotel in May

what were you travel dates as i have email for free nights

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal hotel in May

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I wouldn't wanna miss out so would wanna change the hotel soon. I'm going 3rd - 17th May, free nights would really good thanks :)

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal hotel in May

Chances are the Harry Potter rides wont have the express option if it has opened - how about booking 1 or 2 nights at a Universal hotel towards the end of your stay in the hope it is open/ and has express option? I wouldn't want to spend all that extra then be gutted if it still hasn't opened. I'm sure I could find something else to spend the money on!!

Lou73

Mentioned in this post
36,439 Reviews
Orlando, FL
newcastle upon tyne...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal hotel in May

are you booking a package holiday have you thought of seven nights in to different hotels

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal hotel in May

I'm booked with Virgin, so could do half and half, I rang them and asked about that and they said it would cost £900 extra to do 1 week in royal pacific resort and 1 week in sheraton studio city, which seemed really expensive for 1 week, I could get it cheaper by booking directly with the hotel and keeping my original booking with virgin, but £1200 extra for 2 weeks would work out the same as booking everything seperately directly with the hotel.

I might book a couple of days directly with the hotel at the end of our holiday as that would work out much cheaper. I wouldn't be gutted if Harry Potter World hadn't opened and I had upgraded to the other hotel as it's where we were gonna stay originally, just wondering if staying on site is worth that much extra money?

Mentioned in this post
36,439 Reviews
Orlando, FL
ireland
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal hotel in May

I don't think HP will be using the express option as this is the practise for all new rides like RRR. So if the only reason you'd be changing is for this then i'd email and check first if express is available in HP World.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal hotel in May

We are booked at the Royal Pacific 21st-28th May. When I booked the lady on reservations told me that your room key is only valid for ONE visit per day to the Harry Potter attraction. There was no availability at any of the Universal hotels for the week 14th-21st of May as that was when we originally wanted to stay. I may be wrong but I strongly suspect this is when Harry Potter might be opening.

We got the 7 nights for the price of 5 deal. Just went for the cheapest room and it was $1146 for the two of us. Our first week is in a 3 bed townhouse at Club Cortile and was £238 booked via Travel Republic. The price is OK when you average it out over the two weeks.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Mentioned in this post
36,439 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Universal hotel in May

Thanks for all your replies. I have changed our hotel with Virgin to RPR, I know it's a lot of money but we were originally going to stay here and only changed our mind to make this holiday cheap. We both work hard so decided we deserve a treat :) and we've always wanted to stay onsite at Universal so even if HP world isn't open it won't matter too much!

London
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Universal hotel in May

Enjoy your treat! The hotel looks fab!

Someone posted (apologies) they had a free nights e-mail - I am going between the 27th April and 5th May :o). If it covers this time i would be very interested to see what it offers if you don't mind.

Thanks