We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Pass transponders

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Pass transponders

Hi

I was just looking for an update on this.

Do any of the car hire companies at MCO insist that you hire these.

I will just be travelling from MCO to Orlando and then to Busch so prefer just to pay cash at the tolls.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Pass transponders

No

You only activate the Sunpass if you pass through the Sunpass lane

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Pass transponders

No. They may push them on you, but it is not a requirement. Some of the cars have transponders. Make sure they are turned off.

There are only two tolls between the airport and I-4 on Highway 528. The 417 has a few more I believe if you use the south exit. No tolls on I-4 between Orlando and Tampa.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Pass transponders

check the company you plan to use https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Pass transponders

And always get a receipt whenever possible for any tolls where you pay cash. Some visitors have reported that they were also charged by the rental company for tolls where they already paid cash.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Pass transponders

I honestly can't see how that can happen unless you drive through a sunpass lane inadvertently

We have hired dozens of cars in the US and have never been charged for a pass by a rental company

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,939 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Pass transponders

Actually it can happen. There have been reports that the lanes next to the sunpass lanes can register with the transponders on occasion.

And OP, DO be aware we had had a number of reports with companies (ie I think it was Dollar/Thrifty) where the desk agent actually lied and said sunpass was required by law- it isn't.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Pass transponders

I'm planning to get a SunPass Mini, do they have a switch to turn off their transponder in the car? I will be renting with Dollar.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,053 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Pass transponders

The SunPass Mini is a sticker which attaches to the inside of the wind shield. There are no switches.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Pass transponders

I mean is there a switch to turn off the transponder in the car as I will be using the SunPass Mini otherwise both could be charged?

I know some rental companies use toll by plate so there is no transponder in the car.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Pass transponders

If Dollar is using a standard transponder then there is a switch on those. If they are using Toll By Plate you cannot turn that off ... you'll have to ask them if there is a way to disable their TBP feature so that you can use the Mini.