We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emerald Isle or Portofino?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Emerald Isle or Portofino?

Visiting first time, with two kids, 6 yrs and 6 month. which one is better? looking for a relaxing time, close to good restaurants and beachfront stay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

While there's some dining options within Portofino itself, it's located at the very eastern fringe of Pensacola Beach where the undeveloped national seashore begins. It isn't beachfront, it's across the road - still quite close, but not beachfront. Probably some activities for kids, possibly at an extra cost.

Emerald Isle is closer to where the action is. Not saying it's better than Portofino, but it's beachfront and that would tip the scale for me.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
358 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

With kids and beach gear in tow I would definitely not want to cross the street to get to the Gulf. My kids are a bit older now but two must-haves for us are Gulf front and washer/dryer in the unit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

Thanks for the response. I'm also not that keen to cross the road to go to the beach with two little ones. I hope there are nice/kid-friendly restaurants close to Emerald Isle and it's not too crowded and noisy....any idea?

Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

We really like the Portofino! It's a two lane road to cross with a walkway....not bad at all! Each unit has their own pool which is rarely crowded and there's also large community pool area and they have a water park with inflatable slides, etc. That you have to pay for, however! They also have kids activities daily...tie dying, etc. Many families with young kids here and quiet. Personally, we don't like the boardwalk area...a bit congested but a quick drive if we feel the need.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

Emerald Isle isn't affected by the boardwalk area, but certainly within walking distance. By all means, Portofino is nice - stayed there once but across the street, even 2-lane, is just not the same for me.

If you're going during the summer, it's going to be crowded. We all love going to the beach and, unfortunately, lots of us show up at the same time. If you can go Sept-Oct, there's lots less people (and noise)!

6. Re: Emerald Isle or Portofino?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 13:16