We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Alabama

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
Day trip to Alabama

Battleship USS ALABAMA

My Husband and I are going to N/O at the end of August, then heading down to Pensacola for a week before returning back to N/O to finish of the rest of our holiday we will not be driving but using the greyhound bus. The trip advisor experts have helped me out big time so far. So Pensacola forum here is my question is there day trips that I can book to Alabama so we can see the USS Battleship? Or would we be better stopping of on our way back to N/O thanks in advance for any advice. Tina

Pensacola Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Alabama

First of all, good luck on greyhound :-)

As far as day trips from Pcola to the Battleship in Mobile, I don't know of any tours that drive there. The only "tour" company I know of in Pensacola is www.goodtimetours.com

So Unless you're going to rent a car for the day, I would just stop on your way back to New Orleans.

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Alabama

Thank you tiff21 for the reply and the info. Tina.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
817 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Alabama

I might just look into renting a car to go from New Orleans to Pensacola. It might be just as cheap as the greyhound and you'll be about to stop more places and still get there quicker. Because the drive from Mobile to Pensacola is rather boring on the interstate I'd suggest after the battleship cutting down on 59 and take the beach road to get to Pensacola. Then you stop at FloraBama or other other places along the way. I think you'll get more out of your trip that way.

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Alabama

My Husband does not drive and I am on medication that prevents me from driving so looks like we will miss the battleship in Alabama but doing my research it looks like there is a lot to see in Pensacola between the beach and the town itself. Are Taxi’s expensive back and forward over the bridge? we are staying on the Pickens Road, Pensacola Beach, reading up on the forum its 3 miles across the bridge I have looked up the buses and read that they come maybe every hr.? When we get there the trolley will have just finished, I’m used to walking now so nothing new there!

Pensacola Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Alabama

I think the Trolley is your best bet. Here is the link if you want to do more research http://beachbumtrolley.com/

Since you missed out on the Battleship, you can go to the Naval Air Museum. They have trolley service and the Museum if free and super nice.

Everything for the most part is within walking distance once you get to Pensacola beach. You will need a taxi though from the Greyhound Station to the Beach though.. as it's kinda far, (don't use Yellow Cab Taxi or Royal taxi because I've heard bad things about them trying to take tourist waaaaay out of their way.

I believe the trolley will take you from the beach to Downtown Pensacola which has great restaurants/bars down along Palafox St. Since your Irish(I've been to Dublin looooved it) You should try O'Rileys Irish Pub Downtown and make them give you free Guinness.

My favorite places are:

Beach restaurant-Grand Marlin or Red Fish Blue Fish

Downtown- O'Rileys Irish Pub, World of Beer, Wine Bar World Bar, Tin Cow(good burgers)

and of course McGuires.

Pensacola Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Alabama

.. and here is the link for the bus fare/beach trolley on ecat.

https:/…

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Alabama

Hi Thanks for that, but since we arrive in Pensacola the day after Labour day the beach trolley will have stopped running We do plan on doing the Naval Air Museum and plenty of walking which I am well used to now. I will try out the restaurants that you have named and maybe say hi to our Irish friends as for trying to get a free Guinness that’s another story, ha-ha.

How much should we pay for a taxi from the Greyhound station to the Beach? Just so we know that we are not getting ripped off. And I’m glad you had a good time in Dublin.

Pensacola Beach...
Level Contributor
179 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Alabama

The ride from the Bus station to the beach is about 20 miles give or take so if you're not dealing with 5pm rush hour traffic it shouldn't be that long. I believe the cab fares here are generally $2.25 a mile but not totally sure.

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Alabama

Thanks a million for the reply. Less then 4 weeks now can't wait. Tina.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Alabama

I personally would skip O'Rileys Irish Pub. If you want a more Irish experience, I think McGuires is a much better choice.

Get answers to your questions about Pensacola