We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dog friendly beaches in general area

GA
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
dog friendly beaches in general area

Looking to vacation near St. Augustine (Flagler to Ormond Beach in particular). When I started researching I assumed the beaches were truly pet-friendly (like Hilton Head). After further research, I have realized it is only a few sections that allow pets and leashes are required. The whole point of going to these areas is to find a great beach where we can bring the dog. We want her to spend just a little time in the ocean a day to get used to it. We have considered buying a home in Florida and want a certain feel and we thought these would be good areas to try. We would want a home (no condo), laid back atmosphere, no high rises, little quirky...

It looks like Ormond Beach is out because it is not pet-friendly. Flagler seems to be the only possibility but the dates we are looking there is nothing available.

Palm Coast has an area called Old Salt Park that looks like it is dog-friendly. We found a house to rent north of there. Can't really tell how far up Old Salt Park goes. So I am not sure if we would have to take the dog and drive there daily for her to go to the beach.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on best place to look for homes if we wanted to purchase that are dog-friendly. For this trip, it looks like we may have to try Old Salt Park for her to visit the beach. Has anyone gone there and have any opinions on it, in particular, we cannot find a good enough map to figure out if we can just walk down the beach where we plan to stay or if we have to drive and park there in.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Florida
Florida
United States
4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dog friendly beaches in general area

Why can't it go in the water with a leash on? Is that too difficult to work out?

GA
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dog friendly beaches in general area

Sorry. I guess I was comparing to Hilton Head. The leash is not an issue. We don't mind keeping her on one. It's more of knowing which beaches are actually pet friendly. Some are not, some seem like only parts, some are but we cannot find rentals in those areas. We are looking at a home in Palm Coast, as it is the only one available for our dates. The homes listed on VRBO say they are pet friendly that are near this one but when looking at ordinances it looks like the pet friendly area is the Old Salt Park. Just trying to get clarification as to places that are friendly for this trip and for future house hunting.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
St. Augustine...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dog friendly beaches in general area

St. Johns County allows dogs on their beaches as long as they are leashed and you clean up after them. The exception is Anastasia State Park, which does not allow dogs on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Anastasia State Park
Anastasia State Park
1,126 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dog friendly beaches in general area

Perhaps, since you seem to disagree with what others call "pet friendly",

*you* should please specifically describe what you mean by "pet friendly".

People cannot help you if you keep your parameters/definition to yourself.

What exactly are you looking for in a beach that exemplifies "pet friendliness"?

Reply to: dog friendly beaches in general area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine