We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Island - Not a Trip Report

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
On Island - Not a Trip Report

Well, I'm back for a little over 5 weeks. Flew into Miami Thursday (since Frontier stopped the directs to RSW, we used free United miles to fly free and my dear, dear husband drove over and picked me up). I had to flee Wyoming during a blizzard, or I would have never made my flight, so everything was early and whirlwind. We boarded and pushed off on time Thursday morning (10:35 am), and them didn't take off until close to noon, as we had substantial delays with de-icing and just taking off.

I don't care that I'm an hour and a half late, I only care that I'm on my way to paradise. Sweet pea husband arranged a very, very nice hotel room in Fort Lauderdale. We ate garlic blue crabs at the Rustic Inn in Ft. Lauderdale and then stayed at the Hyatt in Weston (Ft. Lauderdale). Then we drove to Immokolee to the Produce Market where I proceeded to buy too much (small crate of blackberries (to die for) a huge box of tomatoes, cucumbers, a small watermelon, Florida avacados (I so love them even more than California ones), blood red oranges (the vender cut one in half and they were the best oranges I've ever had, so we have a huge box of them, garlic, fresh green beans, and then just as we were about ready to leave this truck showed up full of fresh sweet corn (candy corn) and I bought a box.

Stopped at Costco for a few things and then home to Sanibel. Luminary and our friends and neighbors have an annual party for it that I'm never here for -- I may be here for Thanksgiving (not the past 2 years) and then back for a month over Christmas. So this year is my first luminary. Luminary was beautiful and fun. I ate way too many cookies, ate too much at the neighbor's party, and they celebrated my husband's birthday which was today, so we also had chocolate cake from Publix "with a beautiful beach scene" - it was excellent cake.

Have to say the best thing we ate at the Luminary were key lime butter mints from one of the stores, but the Pine Island Preserves are also something I'm going to go buy.

Lazy morning getting settled and then off to Ding. Caught and chased blue crabs like crazy. Most people don't know to stop and visit with me or the other "regulars" in the refuge. Towards the end spent quite a bit of time visiting with a couple that stopped to ask me what the heck I was doing. I was able to visit with them about blue crabs, as well as point out the osprety fishing, the mullet jumping, what is legal and illegal to do in the refuge and so much more.

Then it was my husband's birthday & we went off island to his favorite pizza place - Pizza Pub. Then home to get some Christmas gifts wrapped and have a lazy evening.

I've never done a trip report, as I'm a semi-resident, but this year, I will try to provide a little play-by-play on my stay.

Compared to the winter weather I left in Wyoming and Colorado, yesterday and today were beautiful, but one of our friends was in long jeans, long-sleeved sweater and jacket yesterday for luminary. Cold front is supposed to come in tonight, so colder tomorrow, then warmer & the another cold front where the low will get down into the 40s.

Let me know if there is anything you want checked out or run down. I will be working half days while I'm here, but I'm happy to be a resource. Next Saturday will be a full moon, but unfortunately they are forecasting an extremely cold front then.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: On Island - Not a Trip Report

First I should clarify that it is also illegal to take females that are with roe (meaning the eggs are showing).

Crabs blend in wonderfully with the mangrove leaves and the ecology of the refuge. I am guessing they are reasonably plentiful or they wouldn't allow us to crab; however, I have only once ever hit the maximum of 20 crabs in a day and I am generally out for 3-4 hours at a time. Many days I will come back with no crabs and a good day would be 6-10.

Yes, we have crabbed in Clam Bayou (the strip of water at Bowmans Beach between the facilities and the beach and have put crab traps out into the bay. Both have been successful and non-successful. Not in the refuge, Florida doesn't have a size limit on crabs either and their limit is (I believe) a 5 gallon bucket per person per day -- no females with roe.

12. Re: On Island - Not a Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 08:18