We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Hello,

We are considering a trip to Florida this June or early July. Last year we went to Sanibel in February and really liked it. However, because this year it will be June or July, would Sanibel be scorchingly hot? Is June/July a bad time for the red tide or other issues?

I've been reading that some people really like Destin. Can anyone offer their opinion on Sanibel vs. Destin?

What we liked about Sanibel:

*the beauty, peacefulness, and cleanliness of the beach (the sand and the clear water...and no hgh rises to obstruct the view)

*the relaxed, non-touristy vibe

*the bike paths

*the cute little restaurants

It's just my husband, myself and our 3 year old son w/cerebral palsy who is in a wheelchair (we will likely have an "all-terrain" wheelchair, well, as all-terrain as a wheelchair can be!)

Should I also post this question on the Destin board? Or will I get into trouble for cross-posting?

Thanks for any advice!

Linda

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Linda - you can cross post on both forums, please feel free to do so.

How did your son do last year on the beachs of Sanibel? I have worked with CP kids, and am a little concerned if he walks or crawls on the shell pieces that he might cut his little hands and legs. I would suggest consider his mobility range first.

That said, maybe the harder pack of the sand on Sanibel might help you roll his all terrain wheelchair.

All this aside - my son is 3 also, and he LIVES for Sanibel - I swear the contact with nature, watching the dolphins and pelicans, feeling the motion of the waves, listening to all the different bird calls makes my little one come further out of his shell every visit. I think the senses involved would be wonderful for your son. (this is mommy advice, not professional advice)

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Here is the link to Billy's Bike Rentals - they have all terrain wheel chairs and a bike your son could ride in.

www.billysrentals.com/rentequip/…

Also - it will be HOT in June and July, there hasn't been red algae issues in quite awhile, but red tide does pop up at times. No way to predict, really.

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Another option might be St.George Island,in the Panhandle.They have a forum here on TA.Most of the rentals there have boardwalks out to the beach,and it might be a little bit cooler there.Just some thoughts.

But not like Sanibel at all.

Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Hi Sunny,

Actually last year we didn't have our son with us, he stayed with grandma for a few days. He cannot crawl, walk or roll over (he has the athetoid quadriplegic type of cerebral palsy, so his motor skills and cognitive skills are at about the 5 month old level) so we wouldn't have to worry about the shells. But this year I really want to take him to the ocean and see how he responds. Like your son, I think he will love all the different sights, smells, and textures. We probably won't take him into the water, unless the water is really warm. Would it be warm water in Sanibel in June/July?

Thanks for the link to Billy's Bikes. I didn't know they had all terrain wheelchairs there! That's very exciting! We just got his all terrain chair today, and I think the wheels will be too skinny for the sand. I was going to see about buying those big bubble wheels that you can put on your existing chair, but it would be great it we didn't have to do that.

When you say there is a bike he could ride in, I'm not sure what you mean. Like one of those trailer things that you hitch on the back of the bike?

Btw, is that a picture of Kid Rock on your avatar?

Ohio
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Ccr, I will look into St George Island. I've never heard of it, but I like the idea of the boardwalks out to the beach you mentioned.

When you say it's not like Sanibel at all, do you mean it's not as nice as Sanibel? Or nicer than Sanibel?

Thanks

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

Yes - that is Kid Rock, are you a fan?

Look further down on the Billy's link - there is something called the 'Duet' - which is a bike with a seat/chair adaption on the front for a disabled person to ride in.

The water will be very warm in June/July - does he have a life vest? Or maybe your OT/PT could recommend something.

On Sanibel - there are different areas of the beach which have less soft sand - we stayed on middle gulf drive a couple of weeks ago, and it seemd to have only soft sand near the grass line - there was harder packed sand further up the beach, than on West Gulf Drive.

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

St.George Island is very nice.Not as big as Sanibel,and not much to do.Actually,hardly anything to do.It does have the Panhandle sugar-type sand,tho.Not near as many shells as Sanibel.Almost all the homes are rentals,with boardwalks out to the beach.If you want to go out to dinner,you have to go to Appalachicola(hopeI'm spelling that right)or Eastpoint(over a Causeway),but not a bad drive.10-15 minutes at most.

Post on their forum-they'll answer your questions.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

I'm not sure it will be much hotter on Sanibel than Destin- the entire gulf coast is pretty hot in the summer but at least on Sanibel right along the beach you do get a fairly good westerly off-water breeze which makes it more pleasant.

Summer is a popular time on Sanibel. The typical recommendation is that most activities such as biking and golf should be planned in the early morning and leave the afternoon for staying by the pool or beach. Rain is more common but is usually in the form of afternoon thunderstorms.

And red tide has not been a problem for quite a while and the early- mid summer is not a peak time for it from my observations.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

At last I can be a decent resource. My husband spent 10 years summering on Orange Beach/Navarre/Destin. We now have a home on Sanibel. Hopefully this info will be helpful to you:

Temperature. No real difference, on the water you will be looking at 90 degrees give or take either place with beach breezes. The water keeps you cooler, but it will be hot either place without much difference in base temperature.

Beauty. Destin: no trees, 15 story high rise condos all along the beach, no bike paths, no nature other than the beach, beautiful, soft white sugar sand, very clear, lovely blue-green water. You better stay at a beach-front condo, as the road is 4-lane and difficult to cross. Lots of outlet malls, chain restaurants and stores, mini-golf, etc., the typical beach-ghetto type community.

Sanibel: lots of trees and green, nothing can be built taller than a palm tree, beach is shells and some sand, water is less clear, as the sand bars tend to keep things stirred up a bit, but very shallow a long way out. Very slow pace, few chains, lots of bike paths. The typical eco-hippy type community.

Both have their pluses and minuses. For a white woman like me who had no interest in developing skin cancer, Sanibel won hands-down.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel vs Destin in June/July

My husband says I forgot to mention that summer is high season in Destin and more of a shoulder-season in Sanibel.