We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Atlanta
Level Contributor
453 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

DH and I were in the area last weekend, the last before the Summer Rush that is Memorial Weekend. We were traveling from Atlanta and it is just a little over a 5 hour drive. But, alas, we couldn't make it til lunch so we stopped in Defuniak Springs at a restaurant called Bogey's. They close at 2pm to get ready for dinner at 5pm, so we just made it. We sat at the bar and a nice gal from Michigan took care of us. I had the fish sandwich which was Mahi. It was huge and delicious with good cole slaw. DH had the tuna salad and he said it was very good. So it turned out to be very nice even though we were eager to get down to the Gulf. We had rented a small one bedroom at Hidden Villas which is just across an access to the beach. It was very small but a good location and had everything we could need including beach equipment and bikes.We had a lovely walk on the beach although we were greeted by signs that said private beach, walk on the wet sand. Ecological, I suspect, not rude. That night, Thursday, we met a friend who had retired here at 30A Cafe for $5 Martini Night. We walked into a busy restaurant with a smallish bar and enjoyed our friend and some libations. We later had a pizza and salad which was just ok. Good bartenders. Friday, the next day we put those bikes to good use and traveled all around this beautiful area. We went all over Seaside and down to Grayton. We got back to the condo and headed for the beach. Just lovely! We had a nice lunch at very busy Bud and Alley's. We paid quite a bit more than in Defuniak Springs, lol, but the view was well worth it! That night our plan was to go to the Red Bar and enjoy the food and music but could not find a parking spot!! We, being oh so flexible, like Gumby, decided to do our Saturday plan and head down to Rosemary Beach. This was our first time here and boy were we impressed! We had drinks at the rooftop bar at the Pearl Hotel with our bartender Troy. I had a delicious Cucumber adult beverage that Troy said was going off the menu but he would still be able to make. DH is my DD so he had a virgin Pina Colada which Troy made but was appalled. Later we had dinner at Edward's which was fantastic. Great service by Tatiana from Moldova. The next day, Saturday, we biked up to the Farmer's Market at Seaside. I'm sad to report I didn't think much of it but the activity was nice. People running around having fun. We had a late breakfast at Great Southern Cafe. It was wonderful. I had Green Tomato Benedict with crab cake but the crab was just a little too much, although tasty. Being the genius that I am I noticed that our waiter had a similar accent to our waitress the night before and sure enough he was also from Muldova and knew Tatiana. He was wonderful, too. We went back to the condo and got ready for the beach and had a delightful day. The waves were really rolling and the water was clear. That evening, Saturday, we were going to go back to Red Bar and try for a parking space but DH was not up for looking again and he was so impressed with Rosemary Beach that he wanted to go back and so we headed back to our rooftop bar at the Pearl but, oh no, they had a private function so we went to the bar downstairs and it was so nice with a great view. We had dinner at the bar at Restaurant Paradis and it was a wonderful experience. We talked with a young couple from Idaho!!! They make great French 75s and our food was exceptional! Great time! Sunday morning we packed up and were out by 10am on our way back by way of Panama City Beach to visit a friend and take her to lunch at Runaway Island which was very nice and rather inexpensive after Rosemary Beach. It was truly a memorable weekend and I wish I was still there.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
DeFuniak Springs
DeFuniak Springs
Florida Panhandle, FL
Michigan
Michigan
United States
30A Suites
30A Suites
93 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Grayton Beach
Grayton Beach
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Bud and Alley's
Bud and Alley's
455 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
The Red Bar
The Red Bar
1,260 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Rosemary Beach
Rosemary Beach
419 Reviews
Rosemary Beach, FL
The Pearl Hotel
The Pearl Hotel
397 Reviews
Rosemary Beach, FL
Great Southern Cafe
Great Southern Cafe
1,472 Reviews
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Red Bar
Red Bar
209 Reviews
Grayton Beach, FL
Restaurant Paradis
Restaurant Paradis
328 Reviews
Rosemary Beach, FL
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
13 replies to this topic
Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
254 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report

Unfortunately, this has become all too common. FL legislature just passed a law that 'protects' an individual's rights to restrict the use of their beach property, including the posting of signs. It is a HUGE problem in Destin per se, as there are very few public beach access points that are more than 50 ft wide. However, the law also states that the 20 ft of beach above the high tide watermark is not personal property.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
254 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report

Unfortunately, this has become all too common. FL legislature just passed a law that 'protects' an individual's rights to restrict the use of their beach property, including the posting of signs. It is a HUGE problem in Destin per se, as there are very few public beach access points that are more than 50 ft wide. However, the law also states that the 20 ft of beach above the high tide watermark is not personal property - be careful though, I have seen some fist-fights over this issue.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
254 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report

Unfortunately, this has become all too common. FL legislature just passed a law that 'protects' an individual's rights to restrict the use of their beach property, including the posting of signs. It is a HUGE problem in Destin per se, as there are very few public beach access points that are more than 50 ft wide. However, the law also states that the 20 ft of beach above the high tide watermark is not personal property. Be careful though, I have seen some fist-fights over this issue.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 22:41
Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Reply to: Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Rosa Beach