We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
220 posts
39 reviews
Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

Hi.

Like previous posters we intend doing an overnight ( beg May) around I-10 in Tallahassee. The Thomasville Rd area hotels are twice the price.

I have found the Best Western plus for £70. It does have internal corridors so was wondering if we might be ok there. We will literally checkin sleep checkout.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
390 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

If you only want a hotel room to do as you say--check in/sleep/checkout, then do not stay at the I-10 N. Monroe St. exit. The only decent hotel at that exit is the Country Inns and Suites, in my opinion.

You can try for the next exit (eastward bound) at Thomasville Rd and be in a much nicer/safer area, but probbly pay more.

Or you can stop at Exit 192 at Midway (west of Tallahassee), where you will have several decent hotel options like a Howard Johnson's and dining across the street and probably cheaper than Thomasville Rd.. This exit is west of the N. Monroe St. exit, but only maybe six miles or so.

In short--it is easy to avoid Monroe St, so do yourself a favor and do so. And I reluctantly say this as a long-time area resident and new Tallahassee resident.

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
220 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

Thank you for replying. I was considering Midville having read an earlier post. I will definitely heed your advice. This was the last hotel for me to book for the trip.

Greatly appreciated :)

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
220 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

Sorry. Typo!!! Meant Midway :) was getting confused staying in Prattville on the way back. :()

Tallahassee
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

It used to be a Comfort Inn so please be mindful when you are reading older reviews as that hotel wasn't in the best of shape (we've stayed there when moving here). The hotel was refurbished and everytime I've driven by, parking lot is crowded which is hopefully a good sign. Area is fine as you are right by I10. You have a Burger King and Walmart within walking distance along with a gas station/convenience store. Yes, there area a cluster of hotels right around each other but if you can get a decent price @ Best Western I would choose it, especially since it's just a sleepover with no other destinations.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
390 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

I'm not sure what to what exactly your vague pronoun reference "It" refers. I believe it is that Comfort Inn that is the one mentioned in newspaper arrest accounts (see below) so it is surely a place to avoid.

But I only am warning people away from staying at hotels/motels at the N. Monroe St. exit because of numerous news articles in the Tallahassee Democrat (the local newspaper) of numerous crimes centered at the motels in that area, including prostitution and arrests for human trafficking. This area has earned the description "blighted" by the press. And it fits.

So this is why I refer people away from this exit.

I've lived in the South Georgia/North Florida area since 1978 and now live in Tallahassee and it is dismaying to see how this area is not what it used to be economically and safety-wise, But it is. So pick another exit and you will not regret it.

Tallahassee
2 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

Yes "it" refers to the old Comfort Inn, I believe you are referring to the chain of motels on the south side of I10. We live in this area as we also have lived in the Lake Jackson section for the past 3 years. Coming from South Florida, Tallahassee is nowhere near the crime rate we had in the tri-county area. The Best Western and it's improvements have been nice to see. We have driven on I10 to reach I75 going to Orlando and truthfully, the exits going east off I10 and their respective motels I would not touch. Don't forget you have a lot of families coming and staying in this area for FSU & FAMU games, etc. I have family that takes public transportation as bad as that is and have never had any sort of problem. The old Tallahassee Mall is in the process of being refurbished also, granted the area is not wonderful as say Ft. Lauderdale (and there are way wooly areas there). The best for this guest would be to check the hotel ratings as Best Western and make their decision from there.

Quincy, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
7. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

The hotels north of I-10 on North Monroe (Holiday Inn, Best Western) range from average to great, while south of I-10 is a mixed bag. You have Super 8 and Motel 6 which are known to be potentially dangerous, but Wingate and Candlewood Suites are known to be exceptional, so try to stay there if you can. Also, the hotels in Midway are known to be pretty decent, although their exteriors might not show it. In essence, try to stay at Wingate and Candlewood Suites (if short on money, you can stay at LaQuinta, which is good, but not great)

Edited: 17 March 2015, 03:52
8. Re: Is North Monroe St. Strictly a 'no go' area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2016, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Tallahassee