We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping over Labor Day Weekend

San Diego
Level Contributor
15 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Camping over Labor Day Weekend

Hi,

We are thinking about going to Sawtooth National Park over Labor Day weekend but there are no campsite reservations open. So many of the camp sites are first come first serve and i am worried we wont get a camp site. Any insight on how crowded the camp grounds over that weekend would be helpful. How fast do the campsites go? I would hate to plan a weekend and not get a campsite anywhere.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Idaho
Level Contributor
258 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

In a nutshell, crazy busy. There are many places to camp but we've never had much luck without a reservation on such a busy weekend. One option is the overflow campground for Red Fish Lake. It's across the highway from the entrance to the lake and has no services but seems to always have room, it's just not very scenic. Depending when you arrive could make a big difference for the first come sites.

San Diego
Level Contributor
15 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

thank you! that is very helpful!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

Over Labor Day, i would bet that the "over flow" Sunny Side camp spot would be taken days in advance. Our friends send up "spotters" days before. I think there would be some place, but finding it would be another thing. Good luck.I would not do it, but i am not a risk taker...

Idaho
Level Contributor
258 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

Are you thinking of Sunny Gulch which is approximately one mile from the Red Fish entrance? That is a separate campground than the actual overflow camping for Red Fish. That being said, I agree that it may be difficult to find a spot at either place if arriving any time after Friday morning. The Sockeye campground inside the Red Fish Lake recreation area does not accept reservations and we have been lucky finding a site there several times but that was usually with us arriving on Wednesday or Thursday of the week. This link has more information for the OP.

https:/…

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

YEs, msbasil...thank you for the correction.

San Diego
Level Contributor
15 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

thank you for the information. We are not picky where we camp (obviously somewhere pretty is preferred) but we dont want to travel all the way from California to then not have a campsite for the weekend.

What are some of your favorite campsites?

Where can i find a "spotter" to save me a spot? :)

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

Any campsite in our area is pretty, I believe!! Think you’d have to know a “spotter” call the SNRA snd maybe they can help. They’ll have all the information

Idaho
Level Contributor
258 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

When do you think you will arrive in the Stanley area? Like Charley and I both said, that could make all the difference for you. Are you tent camping, trailer, RV? That makes a difference as well. We love any of the walk in places on the link I sent above as well as Sunny Gulch, Stanley Lake (one campground takes reservations ) the other doesn't, Alturas Lake, Petit Lake, etc . Everything in this area is gorgeous (but very busy Labor Day weekend).

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping over Labor Day Weekend

I am in those areas ALL THE TIME, and even during the week I never see a spot!! But there are always miracles!!

Reply to: Camping over Labor Day Weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stanley