We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
534 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

My daughter & her friend are currently on a road trip and will be arriving in NFLD in the morning of June 8th. They will then proceed to Gander, sleep there one night and then drive to Bay Bulls on June 9th to visit family then drive to St-John's for the night. Then they will have about a week of free time to explore. They are keen on seeing icebergs & whales, puffins etc. Is there anyone who could tell me where those sightings are happening at this time ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

5 replies to this topic
Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1,375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

I just got back from Newfoundland. There are puffins in Elliston, near Bonavista. Just go to their small harbor and talk to the owner of the gift shop there -- he drew me a map. The trail's about a mile or so from the harbor. I also saw 3-4 icebergs off the coast of Bonavista, but they may have moved on by now because it was so windy and stormy most of the time. Several people that I talked to in Newfoundland told me that it wasn't as good a year to see icebergs as it was last year, at least not when I was there the end of May and a few days into June. I didn't see any whales -- people said they'd probably show up more this month or in July.

Barbados
Level Contributor
251 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

There is also a website you can follow that tracks them IcebergFinder.com

Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

I don't find "icebergfinder.com" to be very helpful. Try the Facebook group https:/…

Or try the Iceberg Alley App

2017 was a banner year for bergs because we had sea ice that didn't enable the bergs to travel with the currents. This year a lot of harbours didn't have any sea ice, especially on the Avalon where I live. Most icebergs are far out to sea, so you would need to take a boat tour. Probably Bonavista or St. Anthony would be your best bet, as there are more sighting there than on the Avalon. It's also been a lot warmer (by Newfoundland standards) on the Avalon anyway.

As for the whales, it's Capelin (small fish) season now. When the whales follow the Capelin into shore. If you are at the right time, right beach you will see the Capelin rolling in.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 17:23
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
534 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

Thank you. I will let them know about the app as well as this info provided above !

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings

For current iceberg sightings, the BEST thing ever is the Newfoundland Iceberg Reports group on Facebook. Have them join this Facebook group and they'll have up-to-date reports and photos -- it worked great for us and we saw some fantastic ice!

Reply to: Current info about icebergs & whales,sightings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland