We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Guides

West Sussex
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Guides

Hi. We are visiting the area from the UK for several days in mid September and would like to do a half day (or so) fishing with a guide. I have tried a couple of guides i found online via email but have had no response and their websites don't seem to have been updated for some time. Can anyone recommend any fishing guides in the area (not fly fishing)? thanks

8 replies to this topic
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Guides

Indiana is a large area with a large variety of different fish. The state has access to Lake Michigan for salmon, the Ohio /River for catfish and game fish like bass plus some lakes like Brookville for striper and walleye.

I'd need to know the area in which you'll be to narrow down some options.

Glad to help.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
West Sussex
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Guides

Hi. Within about a 45 minute drive of Plainfield (on a Sunday) if possible.

Edited: 27 April 2018, 21:13
Mentioned in this post
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Guides

Are you visiting friends or family in that area? Have you talked to them about this?

Wherever you go, it will likely be more than 1/2 day involved.

In the meantime, have you looked at these?

in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2348.htm

You might also check the Fishin in the City portion of the IN Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) website.

Edited: 27 April 2018, 23:14
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Guides

While I haven't done any research on the topic, my gut says that fishing guides are going to be found for Lake Michigan and probably not much else in Indiana. And, unfortunately, that's a lot more than a 45 minute drive from Plainfield.

I agree that the IDNR website is probably the best place for you to start as it will list all of the State Parks, Forests, Lakes, Wildlife areas, etc. as well as their "amenities" (in your case things like: fishing, boat rental, etc.). Similarly, it will have information about fishing licenses and perhaps info on DNR stocking, etc.

Also, you might want to use this site to figure out what is within an approximate drive time from Plainfield:

www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

I also agree that your 1/2 day sounds like too little to allocate to this. At you're "maximum" drive time you'll spend roughly 1.5 hours driving and if you bump that to 2 hours (for some slack), you're spending roughly a half of the 4 hours in a half-day just in driving. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that is particularly close to Plainfield other than Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis and I'm not sure about fishing in it (but it's probably worth you checking it out).

All that said, I suggest you look at things around the Bloomington area of south central Indiana. Bloomington proper is close (but maybe a little over) you're desired drive time and within another 15 to 30 minutes of Bloomington you'll find: Lake Monroe, Yellowwood Lake, and other State Parks/Forests, etc. (some of which will actually be closer to Plainfield and reduce the drive time). There's also a good number of rivers and smaller city/county parks some of which will have fishing opportunities.

Personally I wouldn't go with a guide, but if you still want to, you might try contacting local bait shops and/or smaller (Mom & Pop) sporting goods places (that focus on fishing equipment); explain your situation that are near where you decide you'd like to go and explain that you'd love to hire a local fisherman to "show you the ropes."

That's my $.02 on that,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Eagle Creek Park
Eagle Creek Park
291 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Guides

This is what I was talking about in #3 re FishIN the City: www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7508.htm You will note the second sentence.

I doubt that the OP wants to drive 4-4.5 hours each way (without allowing for road construction/accidents) to go somewhere to access the Lake Michigan (i.e., Michigan City) for a fishing charter, where the results are uncertain. No guarantee of a catch. The DNR usually has a (weekly) Fishing Report which gives latest information about lake temps, catches reported.

Plus Lake Michigan is not a calm lake. Just because it is called a "lake", it doesn't mean it's small and easy to navigate.* There's no saying that you could book a charter for a specific date, and it would be too stormy or the lake too rough out for your stomach.

The reason why I asked if you were visiting and had asked friends is that: Although there is fishing allowed many places in IN, I certainly wouldn't want to be fishing in some of them for various reasons (i.e., agricultural run-off).

*The Great Lakes are comparable to great inland freshwater seas. They are non-tidal but do have rip current action. Lake Superior, Michigan and Huron are much deeper than Ontario and Erie, with Erie being the shallowest.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,807 Reviews
Illinois
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
West Sussex
Level Contributor
62 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Guides

Thanks for your replies - will take a look into your suggestions. I approached 2 guides regarding trips on lake Monroe with no response so maybe we will have to go without the traditional holiday fishing trip this time. Thanks again

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing Guides

Over the last 30 years, I've lived in Muncie, Marion, Huntington, Cedar Lake, and Valparaiso; if I were a gambling man, I'd say the only area where you'll find guides would be Lake Michigan (salmon bite is good right now, steelhead in summer/early fall). My personal observation, based on the areas I've frequented, is that Indiana's lakes have been overfished and damaged from agricultural runoff to the point that there isn't anywhere (Lake Michigan excluded) in Indiana where fishing is bountiful enough to support guides. My son and I fare well at Trail Creek and Michigan City's lighthouse; however, in a way it's sad to say, we do more saltwater fishing these days than bother with Indiana's lakes.

Mentioned in this post
Muncie
Muncie
Indiana
Huntington
Huntington
West Virginia
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,807 Reviews
Illinois
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Michigan
Michigan
United States
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing Guides

Okay, Brother, let's get you on the water. The websites sited above are perfect for your needs and a great resource for you to use.

Fishing In The City is the first thing at which you should look. It is a nation-wide program(Ky. uses it as well)to upgrade and create access to fishable water in urban areas. Since Plainfield is a suburb of Indianapolis, this would be perfect and save you time and the cost of a guide. Guides are few and far between in the Midwest because there is no market or money to be made, except for salmon on Lake Michigan. Unlike Scotland where salmon are caught in streams on flies, in L. Mich. you troll lures deep which requires a guided trip but you may consider it if you want that adventure. Figure a full day between travel up, fishing, and return.

Another list you need to review is the list of stream access points around Indy. IDNR arranges with the landowner to allow people access to a stream to fish. Most of these are used by kayakers and canoeists. There are hundreds across the state. All you would need is a one day license, a rod and bait.

There are three lakes fairly close to Indy - Morse, Geist, and Lemon - all of which are heavily developed residentially but do have marinas. Contact them for suggestions about a guide.

Finally, if all else fails, message me directly - I'll tap my resources for you - can't leave a brother on the beach.

Safe trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Reply to: Fishing Guides
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted