We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Hi everyone, my son will be attending Purdue University starting the summer session. I will be helping him moving into the dorm and get to know the area a little better. Should I stay in West Lafayette or Lafayette to get a better feel of this town?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Purdue University
Purdue University
237 Reviews
West Lafayette, IN
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
8 replies to this topic
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Union Club Hotel. It’s on campus.

Mentioned in this post
Union Club Hotel
Union Club Hotel
213 Reviews
West Lafayette, IN
West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
776 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

The Hilton Garden in is a few blocks away from campus and is pretty convenient to both towns. Congratulations to your son and I’m sure he’ll enjoy his time at Purdue.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Hampton Inn West Lafayette is super friendly, clean and close.

Mentioned in this post
Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Thanks for all the useful information, so I don't need to stay in Lafayette so we can get to know the town a little better? West Lafayette is sufficient to stay and explore ?

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

I'm not completely sure what your expectations of Lafayette/West Lafayette are, but (together) they are a small city and it's not that hard/doesn't take too long to get around.

To give some idea I just got on Google maps and did some driving time estimates for some drives and most are short/not too long. Some examples: driving about a far as you can from one end to the other (I choose SE to NW, but would expect the same or less for similar drives) was about 20 minutes, and something that was close to "downtown" (using Purdue welcome center) to "downtown" (using the courthouse) was under 10 minutes (and only about a 25 minute walk). Obviously none of this was based on a hotel location, but I don't think that's likely to make a big change to my observation.

My suggestion is for you to plug in your hotel location (or the different location if you're still up in the air) and use Google maps to get some estimates for driving/walking times to various areas of Lafayette/West Lafayette that you think you'll like to check out. My gut says that unless you're going outside of the city, you're probably looking at 10 to 15 minutes to get to most places; with 20 or 30 being about the maximum (and which will also cover getting into some of the surrounding/outside of the city areas if that has any interest).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I first booked Home2 Suites by Hilton in Lafayette, but now it seems a bit far from where everything is, correct?

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

Correct. That hotel is not close to campus.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lafayette or West Lafayette?

I wouldn't call that the most convenient location, but I can't say that it's that much better or worse than other options (as I haven't checked the location of every possible hotel). According to Google maps it's about a 10 minute drive to downtown Lafayette and more like 15-20 to the Purdue Campus. I wouldn't call that great, but I wouldn't call it terrible either.

I'd say if you consider those drive times reasonable and you're (otherwise) happy with the hotel (rate, amenities, etc.), then I don't think I'd bother switching. If not, then look at other options and see how much (if any) you'll save on drive times. Personally, I don't think I would switch hotels just to save a few minutes drive time, but if the other option meant, I could walk for most things (rather then driving), then I might be tempted to switch (depending on price, quality, etc.).

That's my $.02 on that,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Reply to: Lafayette or West Lafayette?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lafayette