We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Callala Bay versus Berrera

Beaver Island...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Callala Bay versus Berrera

What would be the pros and/or cons of staying 3 days in Callala Bay or 3 days in Berrera. Both would be houses on the beach. Just not sure which to pick.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

Sorry, where is Berrera?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

Berrara is on the coast ie surf beach while Callala Bay is inside Jervis Bay (no surf, flat water, bit boring).

I would stay in Berrara (more interesting coast plus surf beach)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
14,252 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

I don't know about Berrara, but I wouldn't stay in Callala Bay. There is a beach there, but not much else.

Beaver Island...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

Well good, I chose Berrerra!!!! Thank you all!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

If I had to choose a location to stay in Jervis Bay and I was not camping, it would go as follows - and this is based on facilities, access to activities, beaches, supermarkets and restaurants -

Huskisson

Vincentia

Hyams Beach

Woollamia

Then if I could not find anywhere in those places, I would consider Callala Bay and Callala Beach. But you have to keep in mind, those locations are a 31km drive to Huskisson through a lot of roo country, so you don't want to be making that drive at twilight or night time. There are not many places to eat there, and some of the places that are there I would not recommend. The nearest place I would recommend to eat is actually over at Culburra Beach - what was once known as the OP Bakehouse and was also in Orient Point but it has now moved to Culburra and is now known as The Little Snapper.

https://www.thelittlesnapper.com/

If you look here on Tripadvisor at things like the top 10 cafes in Callala Bay you will find many of them in Huskisson and listed at 6.7km away or so. Yes, they are that close, BUT the only way to get to them is across Currumbene Creek. That is not impossible if you have a paddle board, boat or kayak, and there is also a ferry but the times it runs are somewhat limited.

http://www.huskyferry.com/

If I was camping, Booderee National Park @ Green Patch would be #1.

To sum up - if you are going to self cater aka cook all your own meals, then Callala Bay or Beach would be fine. If not, I would not recommend those locations to someone unfamiliar with driving in Australia as Forest Road, the main road you drive down to get to Huskisson, is quite active with kangaroos. As cute as they might be, it is not especially fun to hit them with your vehicle and they are very unpredictable. My thought is, you want to be somewhere you can walk to eating places if you are planning to eat out.

I did live in Callala Bay for a few years and it is a lovely place, but it does have occasional issues with red algae and that can get quite stinky.

…blogspot.com.au/2016/03/the-red-sea.html

I have not been there for a while and have no idea what the current algae situation is, just so you know. If you are really set on it, let me know and I will make it the location of our weekend drive on an upcoming weekend and check it out. Also if you want to PM me the location of the house I can give you a better idea. I do not think there are that many houses in the bay that are truly on the beach.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Callala Bay versus Berrera

I meant to say - Forest Road is the main road you drive to get to Princes Highway then you drive down Jervis Bay Road to get to Huskisson, from Callala et all. :)

Reply to: Callala Bay versus Berrera
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Callala Bay
Recent Conversations