We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon for summer next year (a bit early I know!) and we have always wanted to cross the Atlantic and visit America, so, we're having a 'whistlestop' tour to celebrate our wedding.

Our rough itinerary is:

Day 1 : Fly to New York

Day 2 – 4 : Sightseeing in New York

Day 5: Amtrak to Buffalo

Day 6: Day trip to Niagara Falls

Day 7: Amtrak train Buffalo to Chicago

Day 7 – 8: Sightseeing in Chicago

Day 9: Amtrak Chicago to St Louis

Day 10: Sightseeing in St Louis

Day 11: Amtrak St Louis to Kansas City

Day 12 – 13: Sightseeing in Kansas City

Day 14: Amtrak Kansas City to Vegas

Day 15 – 16: Vegas!

Day 17: Amtrak Vegas to Flagstaff

Day 18: Day trip to Grand Canyon

Day 19: Amtrak Flagstaff to LA

Day 20 – 22: Sightseeing in LA

Day 23: Fly home

As you can see we are using Amtrak and where possible, taking advantage of sleeper trains. What can we expect from these? Are they comfortable?

Also just after a hints and ideas for what we can do in Kansas City whilst there. I'm a bit of a history/cultural fan, a sports fan and we both enjoy eating and drinking! We obvioulsy have our 'Rough Guide' but any personal recommendations would be great, as would any hotel recommendations.

Many thanks.

Happy New Year!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

First, congrats on your upcoming marriage!! What a fun time!

I've been away from KC for quite some time now, so someone else might have more up to date suggestions, but here are a couple areas of the city I suggest you seeing within your two days there:

The Country Club Plaza: This area is full with shopping, restaruants and bars. I would suggest either taking an afternoon to walk or doing an eveing there for dinner/drinks. There are often art fairs there, so you might want to check the schedule on the website. http://www.countryclubplaza.com/

The Power & Light District: This is a new entertainment area downtown Kansas City. I would suggest doing dinner/drinks here one night. http://www.countryclubplaza.com/

The Sprint Center - This is a new arena located in the P&L District -- you could check to see if any concerts/events are there when you are in town.

http://www.sprintcenter.com/

Since you're a sports fan, you may want to check out the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum: http://www.nlbm.com/

I have not been, but I have heard good things

You also need to eat BBQ while you are in KC. If you go to the Country Club Plaza one night, you can eat at Jack Stack BBQ (www.jackstackbbq.com/info.asp…)

If you want to do lunch instead at a "real" KC BBQ joint that is more of a hole in the wall place, go to the original Arthur Bryants BBQ on Broklyn Ave: http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Since you'll be taking the Amtrak train, I would suggest trying to find a hotel downtown KC close to the Amtrak station and the P&L District, that way you don't have to rent a car. You can take a taxi from downtown KC to the CC Plaza easily...again, someone else will have to provide hotel suggestions since I've been away for a while...

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

My dad worked many years for Santa Fe, so I grew up riding on the train. We usually had coach seats since we got to ride free or minimal charge since dada was a railroad employee, but a couple times he paid for a Sleeper Car room for us...I thought I was in heaven!!!! You will love your trip and experience I am sure :)

Are you going to have a rental car? You've received some excellent suggestions and I might add if you will have a car, there is a new shopping area at the intersection of I-70 and I-435 on the Kansas side called Legends and the Kansas Speedway racetrack is also located there.

You could also drive to Topeka and see the Capitol for the State of Kansas, Topeka High School (the first million dollar high school built west of the Mississippi River), the National Landmark Brown vs. Topeka School District museum, and half-way between KC and Topeka is the city of Lawrence which is home of the NATIONAL CHAMPION FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL JAYHAWKS! LOL

Kansas City
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

Wow, you have selected some awesome cities to visit. Chicago - don't miss Cloud Gate, unofficially dubbed "The Bean"; St Louis - The Hill great Italian Restaurants; Kansas City- the Plaza and Jack Stack for the best barbeque and the Negro Baseball Museum. For more ideas, check out greatgirltrips.com.

4. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2009, 22:07
Topeka, KS
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

The Chateau Avalon would be the perfect place to stay in Kansas City since you will be on your honeymoon. It's a luxury hotel/bed & breakfast with themed rooms with jacuzzi tubs.

http://www.travelks.com/s/index.cfm?LID=2237

It is located on the Kansas side in the Village West complex which includes excellent shopping, drinking, dining and entertainment options.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

There is a Jack's Stack not far from Union Station in Kansas City. You MUST eat there! Try the chessy corn casserole as one of your sides. Also, right in Union Station is Pierponts - a great steak house. Remember, steak "grows" in the area and is the best in the country in Kansas City!

The Plaza for shopping and walking around is great. There is a great variety of resturants on the Plaza, all kinds and all prices.

For history, the WW1 Museum is across the street from Union Station. It is definately worth seeing. It's sponsored by the Smithsonian Institute. Highly recommended.

Another Smithsonian Museum that is highly recommended is the Steamboat Arabia Museum in the River Market area (not far from Union Station/Crown Center/Plaza). This is the most amazing museum. If you see nothing else, go see it. The Missouri river was the highway for steamboat trade in the 1850's, but hundreds of them sank on the way. This one was dug up in a farm field by a local family and all the contents were perfectly preserved. The steamboat was taking all the supplies needed for a new town in Iowa - nails, china, door knobs, hats, pickles, perfume, everything. You can see parts of the steamboat and even the skeleton of the only fatality, a donkey. It's most interesting and definatly unique.

In Independence, MO (an eastern suburb) is the Harry Truman Library and also his house. They always have interesting exhibits. It's a far eastern suburb though, you'd need a car. Read the book "Truman" by David MacCallum before you come to Kansas City for some great history of the political scene. Also in Independence is a small museum at the start of the trails west - the Sante Fe trail, Oregon Trail and California trail. You can still see wagon ruts in the ground.

The Nelson-Atkins Art Museum is 1st class. It's not far from the Plaza. The Kemper Museum of Modern Art is also close by the Plaza area.

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is supposed to be very interesting, but I haven't been there yet. It's also by 18th & Vine, historical jazz center.

The Power & Light District and the new Sprint Center always have something going on. There are a great variety of restaurants in the Power & Light district.

If you stay around Crown Center (by Union Station) or in the Plaza Area you will be close to most of the above. The Plaza, Crown Center, Union Station, Power & Light, River Market etc. are all on the Missouri side of the state line, kind of downtown, a great area to use as a base for your visit to KC.

Kansas City is sprawled out quite a ways on both sides of the state line. I would stay central (Plaza or Crown Center) to avoid a lot of car time.

Have a great trip to KC. It's one of the best kept secrets in the US!

(If you can stay longer, take a day trip thru the Flint Hills. It's uniquely Kansas. Imagine the settlers trudging with their covered wagons over the plains. And see the steaks "growing"!)

Also, St. Louis - the Hill - Italian food. Can't beat it!

PS I was in York a few years back. Beautiful city.

Kansas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

Hello.

Your itinerary is quite busy and with the generalizations in that it seems easy to come to a few specifics.

First of all have you ever been to the Kansas City area? If not here are some basic information regarding it:

I would like to imagine that other residents also consider Kansas City to encompass a very, very large area that is spread out in all directions in Kansas and Missouri (Legends, Power and Light/Downtown, Plaza, various other areas.) If you plan to visit a lot of different places you -will- probably need to rent a car as taxi or such will get expensive quickly. If that is something you don't want then a trip more centralized to an area can probably be achieved as well. Which are you looking for?

Which sports are you mainly interested in? If those are in season I could see more about them for options.

Kansas BBQ and Jazz are very specific and famous attractions. Are these any bit of interest to you? Would you say in a more Historical way or one more current?

There are always the main-stream places to go to to visit which are always good:

-Nelson Art

-Crown Center

-Power and Light district

-Negro Baseball Museum

-Shopping

-etc.

Would these however interest you any?

-Picking fruit or vegetables on a farm

-Local brewery tour

-Dinner and a live play/musical. (Very good)

-Opera or Ballet

-Bass Pro/Cabella's

-etc.

Also your budget and exactly when you plan to be here could lead to a few more 'local' options.

Outdoors?

Indoors?

Schlitterbahn Vacation Village should be up and going in the summer as well.

Please let me know and I'll try to go from there.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

Regarding the sleeper train.. I thought it was quite small but functional. You have two seats facing one another which then fold down and convert into a single bed. Above that bed you pull down the other bed so they are bunks. My partner is quite tall and he was fine. I slept fine except it seemed to get a bit stuffy and the dust aggravated allergies.

For a wonderful meal in Kansas City (if you like Indian food..) try Korma Sutra at Westport. The lunch buffet is the best value and my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Have a fun trip!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

Oh and for a nice hotel in Kansas City try the Raphael

http://www.raphaelkc.com/

Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: 2.5 days in Kansas - What to do?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City
Recent Conversations