We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around Kansas City

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around Kansas City

Hey All, Im going to be flying into MCI Airport and need to get downtown, near the Sprint Center. Can anyone give me some good tips on the best way to travel, Subway, or other. And any good Sports bars and pubs and things to do for a weekend, places to stay away from after dark if any, thanks!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sprint Center
Sprint Center
357 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around Kansas City

KC has limited mass transit. Unless you want to drop a bundle on a taxi, I would take SuperShuttle.

KC is a pretty safe city, I don't give a lot of thought to avoiding areas. The P&L District surrounding the Sprint Center has a bunch of bars and entertainment options, though I avoid them since they have built a reputation of being discriminatory.

The community is known for jazz and BBQ and you should try both. There are many jazz clubs, but I particularly like the Blue Room, which is attached to the Jazz Museum. You might enjoy that museum and the attached Negro Leagues Museum.

There are even more BBQ options. A few of the good ones near that part of town include Arthur Bryants, Gates, Winslow's, and Jack Stack. I recommend Bryants if you want an old, famous dive or Jack Stack if you want slightly upscale.

You are unlikely to be able to hail a taxi on the street, but service can be ordered by calling Checker Cab (816) 444-4444, Yellow Cab (816) 471-5000, or Advanced Suburban Taxi (913) 209-9393. Bus service is available between that area and the City Market, Crown Center, Crossroads Art District and the Country Club Plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Sprint Center
Sprint Center
357 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Blue Room
Blue Room
47 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
City Market
City Market
356 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Crown Center
Crown Center
535 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Country Club Plaza
Country Club Plaza
1,764 Reviews
Kansas City, MO
Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around Kansas City

Awesome, thats a ton of good info, I will research all of your ideas. Much appreaciated, thanks again!!

3. Re: Getting Around Kansas City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2010, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Kansas City
Recent Conversations