We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting From Scratch!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Starting From Scratch!

Okay TA Friends... Looking to road trip from WI to This area with my wife and two 6 year olds in August. Looks like there is availability at many places and itinerary isn't set yet as I am just getting my feet wet. Haven't been to this area since I myself was probably under the age of 10.

Looking for a "home base" with some charm (both the lodging and the city location - hotel? Cabin? Air BnB?) while convenient for the standard itinerary. I was starting with the following article... I am not married to it, so please let me know your thoughts! I am guessing we will have 4 full days in the area. Thanks in advance!!!

blackhillsbadlands.com/suggested-itineraries…

4 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting From Scratch!

When in August are you planning this trip? The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally runs from August 3 -12 and you can expect large crowds of bikers on the roads all through the Black Hills before, during and after the rally. It’s not a time that I’d recommend coming.

Mentioned in this post
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
71 Reviews
Sturgis, SD
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting From Scratch!

Thanks for the quick reply. Right now I think we would be the week of August 19th.

Thanks again!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting From Scratch!

That week will be fine.

The itinerary in your link lists lots of great attractions—some you may want to visit (Mt. Rushmore), some that probably aren’t worth the time for a short trip (Evans Plunge), and some that are closed (Flintstone’s Bedrock City). I’d use those ideas plus ones you can find in the free South Dakota Travel Planner (see link below) to plan a trip that suits your interests. If you come up with a proposed itinerary or at least a list of your “must see” sights, then you may get some feedback from a TA contributor.

The most convenient places to stay are in the central Black Hills (Keystone, Hill City and Custer). And depending on what you want to see, a night in the Badlands or in Rapid City night make sense.

www.travelsd.com

Mentioned in this post
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Keystone
Keystone
South Dakota
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,324 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting From Scratch!

You can also look at our top questions which appear on the full TA site, not the mobile one. They have some great suggestions from itineraries to cabin rentals. THey are under the South Dakota forum. You are currentl on the Black Hills forum.

Mentioned in this post
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Reply to: Starting From Scratch!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about The Black Hills