We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evenings in Belfast

canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Evenings in Belfast

We'll be spending two evenings in Belfast and were wondering what might be fun to do or see. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
4 replies to this topic
Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Evenings in Belfast

Hi Scadia, Belfast is a vibrant and buzzing city. You will have plenty of pubs and bars where you will have the privilege to experience the authentic Irish culture. You will be amazed and impressed by people's friendliness and courtesy. Depending on the time that you arrive we would suggest you to take a stroll in the city centre, full of life and characterised by a wonderful architecture. If you have the chance visit the Belfast City Hall, the Botanic Gardens in the heart of the university area, the wonderful Queens University and definitely do not miss the new Titanic Exhibition Centre; a star-shaped building hosting an infinite number of interactive galleries that will catapult you into the history of Titanic. As for restaurants, we would suggest you the Opusone in the Botanic area, this is a unique experience for food lovers, James Street House and Grill is also a good option, best meat ever. If you like fish you absolutely have to dine at the Mourne Seafood, a lovely restaurant located just above one of the greatest pub in Belfast : Kelly's Cellar in Bank Square. Tasty beer, traditional Irish music and pleasant people will make your night unforgettable. If you would like to try a typical Irish meal, why not having dinner at the Crown, the oldest pub of the city, the Botanic Inn where they make the best champ ever or Lavery's, famous for its burgers.

Belfast is also popular for its nightlife and entertainment, the Spaniards in Skipper Street is a great place if you are looking for fun and good music, Filthy McNasty is also an amazing pub in Dublin Road, live music and cool atmosphere, you will be conquered by the cosy secret garden ( especially when the sun is shining ). Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evenings in Belfast

Sadly, Belfast, Maine does not have nearly as vibrant a night life as Belfast, Ireland !

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evenings in Belfast

Disclaimer: I may have mucked up some of these names...

The center of Belfast is small and it's fun to meander, including the pedestrian bridge, There is a healthy art community here; you'll find the folks generally friendly and helpful.

Check out Belfast Maskers Theater Company (not exactly the name), which presents plays in a waterfront park.

The local movie theater dates to the 20's, I think, and retains some of its original features - art deco - charming. A few theaters within the building, which looks rather small. Definitely not a national chain experience, nice change.

Pubs, several choices from the main street to the waterfront. Sorry, know little about the music scene, except July's Celtic Folk Festival.

August tends to be quieter than July.... Don't miss Young's lobster place, north of town. If it's a rainy day and if you like art, check out Farnsworth Art Museum and the Wyeth Institute in Rockland, 22 minutes south.

Check out the observation deck on a distinctive bridge a few miles north - 360 degree views, beautiful.

Have fun and sorry for being over general and the mucked up names.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Farnsworth Art Museum
Farnsworth Art Museum
772 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evenings in Belfast

Ah, forgot to mention there are several boats that you can take for a Pen Bay sail.... most leave from the same dock at the waterfront. Picture smaller vessels, not ones with capacity of 50.... Delightful sail with a Captain from Searsport.

Ah, Searsport lies north, perhaps 30 minutes. Historic ship town, respected maritime museum.

and if you want a stunning bay view, head up MT Megunticook in Camden at Camden State Park, vistas are staggeringly beautiful and for miles. Lots happening there for evening events, Camden, that is but Belfast is a nice departure from the over-run tourist town. How lucky you are to visit there.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Reply to: Evenings in Belfast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast