We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Screw Auger Falls

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Screw Auger Falls

We'll be in Maine the middle of next week. Travel Books say that Bethel, Grafton Notch State Park and the Screw Auger Falls are "must see" items. Agree? Whatever scenic views we can see have to be done by the car - my husband can't walk very far. Thanks!

Sunday River Ski Resort
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Beach & Pool Clubs
Bethel Outdoor Adventure
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Screw Auger Falls

Grafton Notch State Park is a beautiful drive (except in a snow storm - but you should be safe...). Screw Auger Falls is considered one of the more accessible waterfalls in Maine, but I don't think you can see it without walking a bit.

www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Screw Auger Falls

Ok, thanks for coming back so quickly! Looking at the info page, it's supposed to be handicap accessible (unconfirmed), so maybe we'll take a chance with it. THANKS>

Berlin, NH
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Screw Auger Falls

I'm not sure if this would interest you, but just a little further north than Grafton Notch (on the map), there are a couple of scenic vistas on route 17 (it's called "hieght of land"). If you continue north on rt. 17 you'll come to the nice little town of Rangeley. Have lunch, maybe? There are several restaurants OR if you prefer, there's a great little park in the middle of town right on the edge of Rangeley Lake, that has picnic tables. Just past the town, there is another vista on rt. 4. You could return on this route to make a loop.

I'm not discouraging you from Grafton Notch. I only suggest the above because it would have very little walking and (imo) very nice views.

There has been quite a bit of paving done in this area recently, so the roads are in good condotion. Enjoy.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Screw Auger Falls

It;s been a while since I was at Screw Auger Falls, but as I recall, you'll need to get out of the car to really see much..... seem to remember some paved walkways that would be fairly easy going, but also recall that to see some parts of the falls you need to walk out onto some of the rock ledges in the area.... Should be able to see some of the falls (beautiful even from the parking lot) but can't remember whether or not you can easily get to all of it. Ride up is pretty regardless....

Height of Land on Rt 17 just south of Oquossoc, suggested by NH Turtle, is about twice as far from Bethel as Screw Auger timewise... but, depending on how you're getting to Bethel, how much time you have in the area, and how you're leaving the area... it can be a nice drive. Views from Height of Land are definitely impressive and can be seen from the car (or by standing next to it).... Rangeley is a great little town... and on your way up Rt 17 from Mexico to Oquossoc, you have a better than average chance of seeing a moose near one of the roadside ponds or streams -- no guarantees, but that's one of the routes we take if we want to see one (and we're quite often successful there).

5. Re: Screw Auger Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bethel