We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booth Bay Area mid May

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Booth Bay Area mid May

We're coming to Boothbay for a couple of days soon. I realize Memorial Day is the official open to the season, but will we have a good choice of restaurants in the area a couple of weeks beforehand?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booth Bay Area mid May

There are enough "year round" places to meet your needs. E.g. The Thistle Inn offers a pub menu and a more formal restaurant menu in a cozy atmosphere.

You can also venture farther to Wiscasset (e.g. Le Garage or Sarah's) or Damariscotta (Damariscotta Grill, King Eider's Pub).

You're right that the seasonal "lobster shack" type places in BBH probably will not be open yet.

Mentioned in this post
The Thistle Inn
The Thistle Inn
136 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booth Bay Area mid May

Thanks! Damariscotta Grill and The Thistle Inn are on my list. Would you recommend Damariscotta Grill over King Eider's Pub?

Mentioned in this post
The Thistle Inn
The Thistle Inn
136 Reviews
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booth Bay Area mid May

Yes, DG over Eider. I think they are trying to be more creative and emphasizing "fresh and local".

Do be sure to partake of the locally farmed oysters if the're available.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
839 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booth Bay Area mid May

Having eaten at both many, many times, I can confidentaly say that he Damariscotta River Grill and King Eider's are equal in both their food quality and service. They are just different types of establishments. King Eider's is more casual and puby and the DRG is a big more upscale.

Many of the more seasonal restaurants are opening this weekend for Mother's Day. On the Pemaquid penninsula, that includes Shaw's (in New Harbor), and in Round Pond, the Anchor Inn (owned by the same folks as the DRG) and Musgongus Bay Lobster (my very favorite lobster pound).

Also, check out the Newcastle Publik House in Newcastle (atmosphere similar to Eider's).

Mentioned in this post
Damariscotta River Grill
Damariscotta River Grill
408 Reviews
Damariscotta, ME
5. Re: Booth Bay Area mid May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:42
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor
More Boothbay Harbor Topics