We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

newton, ma
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

My wife and I want to get away for 2 nights. We were wondering which town is prefered for a nice overall weekend experience ( restaurants, pubs, scenic beauty, overall town feel) : Camden or Boothbay Harbor ?

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

I think they're both a good choice. If you search the forums, you'll find some people that prefer one over the other, but you really can't lose with either.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

I've never been to Boothbay, should I really shouldn't offer an opinion. Nevertheless, I would choose Camden. It's a very walkable little town center. I get the feeling that Camden is a bit more upscale than Boothbay. In fact, I'd even say that Camden is a bit more upscale than Bar Harbor. All those pretty yachts in the harbor. And Camden has less t-shirt shops and more artwork and crafts. And you can drive up Mount Battie, just north of the village of Camden, and have a spectacular view of the whole mid-coast, all the way to the mountains of Acadia.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

As I noted in my response to this question when it was posted in the Camden forum -- it depends a bit on how soon you're coming... "all the pretty yachts in the harbor" aren't there yet and likely won't be for several more weeks -- we were there last weekend and workers were still getting some of the windjammer fleet unwrapped from their winter shrink-wrap.... Little real activity in the harbor just yet -- water and air temps still too cold....

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
newton, ma
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

Is Camden a bit stuffy ? LIfe can be stuffy enough as it is. We would like a laid back town.

Edited: 13 May 2012, 20:09
newton, ma
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

Is Camden a bit stuffy or laid back ?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

Not stuffy. I don't think anyplace in Maine is really stuffy. Maybe if you found yourself in the middle of an old traditional summer colony with a tennis club and a yachting center. But there are generally no day tourist facilities in those colonies or small islands. Anyway, no, I never felt any stuffy atmosphere in Camden or Bar Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
newton, ma
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

thank you

Newcastle, Maine...
Level Contributor
8 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

It depends what you want to do and how much, also. Boothbay is larger and more touristy, losts more to see and more to walk to. Camden is lovely and small. Personally I prefer Camden but only because I don't like to do too much walking around. Boothbay on the other hand has more to see. With Camden, its an easy and fast drive to many other smallish towns and areas whereas Boothbay to anywhere else is a long drive - you're at least 20 minutes from the main roadway. Near Camden you have Rockport, Rockland and Belfast.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

To answer your question well, it really depends on your frame of reference. What exactly are you wanting to experience? Then, make your plans from there.

In almost every Maine town, there is a great Chamber of Commerce that is happy to forward brochures, booklets, newsprint regional advertising, etc.--to provide better details on what their areas have to offer--based exactly on your interests. It really helps to go online and order their free regional books as a good first-step in acquainting yourself with an area's offerings.

I have enjoyed Camden and Boothbay Harbor many times. Generally, I feel that Boothbay Harbor has more diverse offerings, satisfying just about anyone's interests. First, there are more spots from which to see gorgeous romantic views of the harbor and ocean, beaches, many activities that you can do for free (i.e., incredible hiking trails), fabulous night-life restaurants, a mecca for boaters/sailors, sports fishing/whale watching/seal & puffin watching trips galore, the Harbor shopping center providing from schlocky touristy to upscale clothing, juried arts & crafts, gifts--really, whatever your indoor/outdoor interests are, you truly find it here.

As for Camden, it is just as ideal as Boothbay Harbor, only not as diverse. Both towns have similar and their unique offerings. Camden is easier to walk and is more accessible. Boothbay is short on geographical area, causing buildings/businesses to build up, requiring customers to use thinner sidewalks, or, mount a few to several levels of stairsteps to reach a site.

The best chance of finding what you want in a Maine destination between Camden and Boothbay Harbor--I'd vote Boothbay.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
connecticut
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden for a weekend ?

I'd vote for Boothbay! We've been to both towns several times, but Boothbay is our favorite, and we go back every summer. We like to do outdoorsy stuff, and bring kayaks for all the back rivers. The town has some great restaurants, or lobster meals on the wharf right out of town. Fun boat trips. We just did a lobster hauling one, and a mackerel fishing one. Botanical gardens are absolutely gorgeous! Drive out to ocean point for a bottle of wine and sunset on the rocks. Lots of entertainment in town or hiking the trails. Camden was a bit fancier, with more upscale shops, and beautiful boats!

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor
More Boothbay Harbor Topics