We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In town or on the ocean?

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
In town or on the ocean?

We will be in Camden for 2 nights this summer. I have identified two places we'd LOVE to stay but we'd like to pick just one of them for both nights. One is a B&B in walking reach of downtown and the harbor. The other is farther from city center with direct oceanfront.

We'll have a car, and we love staying oceanfront. We also love exploring towns on foot.

We're not sure how long we'll be spending in the room/on-property vs. out and about. This is mid-trip for us so it's possible we'll be exhausted... or just hitting our stride.

All else is equal in our eyes—cost, amenities (that matter to us), etc. We're just struggling with location. But we've never been to Maine so I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I should be choosing based on how we feel about wind, heat, bugs, particular highways/roads, ????

What factors would you think about in trying to make this decision?

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
2 replies to this topic
Maine
Level Contributor
901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In town or on the ocean?

I would pick in town solely because I wouldn't want to spend time hunting for a parking spot in Camden every time I came into town.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In town or on the ocean?

It's a pretty small downtown area. You can easily "explore" it in one afternoon. So if you'd prefer oceanfront and don't mind driving out for dinner etc....I think you'd be fine for 2 nights. Even if you stayed downtown you'd probably be driving out at some point to visit Rockland/The breakwater, Owl's Head, Rockport, wherever.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Reply to: In town or on the ocean?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Camden
More Camden Topics