We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise or sunset?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise or sunset?

While in Portland, is it better to see the sunrise or sunset? We'll be in town for just two days in early June so can only take one ferry run... trying to decide between sunrise and sunset. Does the East Coast typically have good sunset viewing (given sun sets in the West)? Is the sunrise like no other because it's coming up from the ocean? I realize there's no "right" answer but would love to get local opinions, as I have no experience with the East Coast (or oceans, for that matter as I'm from the Midwest)!

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise or sunset?

I would suggest the sunset cruise. It set's right over the city landscape and is more enjoyable in my opinion. Check out Portland Schooner Co for an alternative to the ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Portland Schooner Co.
Portland Schooner Co.
165 Reviews
Portland, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,983 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise or sunset?

Depends on which type of "view" you personally prefer. The sun ball rising out of the ocean (or Bay in this case) can be dramatic; but, as already noted, so can the effects of the sun-ball going down behind the in-shadows skyline of the city/shore in the foreground. One other thing to consider: if you decide on the sunrise shot and the weather doesn't cooperate (foggy, overcast, etc.), you still might get a sunset shot the same day; if you decide on sunset, you may or may not have time for a sunrise shot the next morning.

My personal preference, like Local R's, is sunset, but sunrise can be dramatic as well -- mostly a matter of what you prefer.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise or sunset?

Thank you both for your perspective! I'm going to go with the sunset, weather cooperating!

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise or sunset?

Today the sun rose at 5:23. In early June it will be 5AM or even earlier......that may factor into your decision.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise or sunset?

Thank you for the additional information on sunrise time. While i was already leaning toward sunset, the before 5am wake up time seals the deal!

Reply to: Sunrise or sunset?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;