We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

Wilsonville, Alabama
10 posts
Save Topic
New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

We are planning a fall trip to Maine and New Hampshire and need some advice. We are flying into Portland ME and will get in around 2 p.m. or so on a Saturday afternoon. Planning to drive up the coast and eventually circle back to the White Mountains and back to Portland. Should we drive from Portland to Acadia National Park the same afternoon or would it be better to stop in Rockland for the first night? Any suggestions for lodging anywhere for this itinerary is greatly appreciated. Also, should we make reservations now (01/2018) or would it be okay to wait a few months? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!! Mary

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Berry Manor Inn
Berry Manor Inn
#1 of 8 B&Bs / Inns in Rockland
LimeRock Inn
LimeRock Inn
#2 of 8 B&Bs / Inns in Rockland
250 Main Hotel
250 Main Hotel
#1 of 3 hotels in Rockland
7 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

I would stop in Rockland and enjoy the ride to get there. You could check out the Pemaquid Point and/or Marshall Point lighthouses and walk out along the breakwater to the lighthouse in Rockland.

I think it never hurts to make cancellable reservations as far ahead as possible if you find lodging you like.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

If possible I would turn your trip around and travel to the White Mountains first. They will already be just past peak of color on September 29th, whereas Acadia won't yet be at peak. This would also give you the advantage of having your first afternoon drive to be shorter because it's only about 90 minutes to North Conway, if that's where you were planning to stay.

After the White Mountains, you can drive right through the middle of Maine on Highway Two to Bangor and then on to Acadia. I think you could afford to wait a few months for accommodations. But I wouldn't wait much longer than that, especially for weekend nights. If the foliage is reported to be very good, it isn't unusual for Boston to empty out and head north for see the color. I've heard of years when the churches had to open their doors to allow people a place to sleep when everything else is full. This especially happens during a good year in Vermont and New Hampshire.

If you like B and Bs, I'd look at Jackson, NH for the White Mountains. Some very nice B and Bs there along with the lovely old wooden hotel The Wentworth. There are also nice B and Bs in the Acadia area, both in Bar Harbor and in Southwest Harbor. To see what is available to do and eat and lodge around Acadia, look at www.acadiamagic.com. Lots of help and beautiful photography there.

For B and Bs in Bar Harbor see www.sleepbarharbor.com. Three waterfront luxury hotels in Bar Harbor are The Bar Harbor Inn, West Street Hotel, and the Harborside Hotel. There are very few chain hotels near Acadia. But there are clean, pleasant, non-chain, affordable motels like Cromwell Harbor Motel, Edenbrook, Highbrook, Atlantic Eyrie, Atlantic Oceanside, and many more.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Maine
Maine
United States
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
The Wentworth
The Wentworth
917 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,826 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
West Street Hotel
West Street Hotel
765 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cromwell Harbor Motel
Cromwell Harbor Motel
229 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Wilsonville, Alabama
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

Thank you both for your responses! We did decide to go to White Mountains first but still not sure how many nights we need to spend there. We want to do the cog railway and maybe the Conway train while there. From there to Bar Harbor/ Acadia and again not sure how much time to allow there. We will have to be back to Portland on the 5th for our flight on 10/6 so I guess we will have to find a place to stay in Portland as well. Do you have any idea how long it will take at each place (White Mtns and Acadia) to get the most sightseeing in? Seems like there's not enough time to do it all in a week! Mary

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

I'd do three nights in White Mountains and three nights in Acadia. There's never enough time. I'd stay the morning of the 5th in Acadia as well. It's just a three hour drive down to Portland.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Wilsonville, Alabama
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

Thanks for your help. I may be "in touch" again with more questions.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

How many nights total? 8?

I like the split above, 3 nights in the Whites and 3 nights in Bar Harbor/Acadia.

If you have a spare night or 2, nothing wrong w/opting for Portland. Great little city, very walkable.

BUT, definitely do the White Mtns first! They'll be close to "peak" at that time. You Maine time may be a little early. Still colorful, but probably not yet "peak".

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Wilsonville, Alabama
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6

It was hard deciding where to spend more time since we only have 7 nights, but we are staying the first 4 nights in the White Mountains before heading to Bar Harbor for 2 nights. Our last night will be in Portland since we'll be flying home from there. We hope to be able to manage our time and fit it all in!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Edited: 29 January 2018, 04:58
Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Reply to: New England Fall Foliage 9/29 - 10/6
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockland